Credit Card # Stolen

Got questions? We got answers....
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Credit Card # Stolen

Post by Varmint »

Just noticed my "for dirt bike use" credit card was used over in the UK fraudulently. About a dozen guys on our local dirt bike forum were also hacked. The common denominator seems to be RockyMountainATVMC.com although it has not been confirmed.

Check your cards immediately. The f!@kers use the card until it is maxed out! :evil:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

I had a buddy send me a text yesterday that he had the same thing happen with purchases at Bike Bandit. Purchases were made in NYC and the fraudulent transaction was confirmed by his CC company who is now investigating.
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

About six months ago I got hit for about $200 in bogus internet charges after a purchase from Rocky Mountain. Luckily the bank took care of it and I was not out any money. THe bank even called me a let me know about it, cause their computer flagged it. I called Rocky Mountain and they said the were not aware of any hacking. Go figure.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
heckler

Post by heckler »

thanks for the warning. both my cards checked out OK.
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

Holy smokes this explains a lot! Recently my credit card company called me, they felt that I had received some fraudulent charges by someone in Europe. I confirmed that I had not made any purchases in Europe and they promptly canceled my card and sent me a new card with a new number. I thought this was really strange, but now hearing this I can recall that I had just purchased some parts from Bike Bandit shortly before this happened!
Are all of the dirt bike vendors getting hit? I do a lot of business with Motosport, makes me wonder if they will get hit next!

Thank you for the heads up. :prayer:
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Inside job....

Now... does everyone think that new series OUTSOURCED is funny?

99% of the credit card fraud is commited by foreign sources....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

I just called Motosport.com, they have had no problems that they are aware of at this point. I was talking to their administrative office, and they seemed to be interested and truly glad that I alerted them with a heads up. This kind of customer service is why I do business with them to start with! :supz:

I would strongly encourage anyone hit due to Bike Bandit or Rocky Mountain ATV to give them a call, lets face it if they get enough calls they are going to realize they have a true problem. I am quite sure they have confidence in their systems, and will only believe a problem exists after receiving numerous calls or if the credit card companies contact them with some data!
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I had that happen on a card I used at BIKE BANDIT only last year.
That's the only company the card had ever been use at so I am
certain the fraud came from their handling.
I bought airline tickets from KLM in the Netherlands......

Now the ONLY charge card use on line is a Virtual account number that I generate and it can be used one time only.........

F____er's
chopper_guy
Supporting Member

Post by chopper_guy »

same for me. Fraudulent charges/attempts started showing last Saturday, call from the credit card company on Monday. Had no idea the source until now. Thanks for the posting.
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Wow! It's more prevalent than I thought.

And Inda, I'm with you; inside job. Think about it... You're a 20 something kid with access to CC information and someone offers you $10k for a list. I think many would bite.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
HRDROKN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by HRDROKN »

Thanks for the heads up.... I do quite a bit of purchasing from all sources mentioned!

:prayer:
HRDROKN
00' KTM 300exc (sold)
99'/03' KXD Hybrid, ****'s Racing Susp, RB carb / head mod.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

My son's friend had that happen a little over a week ago. I wonder if using Paypal to pay for online purchases would help?
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

I do all my purchases from the little shop up the road from my house.
Nobody that buys stuff from them has had ANY trouble.
I get internet prices, minus shipping, and no BS.. or card hack problems.
Buy local. :grin:
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Jeez, we just had the same thing happen to us. I used our card for purchases from both rocky mountain atv and motorcycle superstore.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They are all probably using the same clearinghouse...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
OLHILLBILLY wrote:I do all my purchases from the little shop up the road from my house.
Nobody that buys stuff from them has had ANY trouble.
I get internet prices, minus shipping, and no BS.. or card hack problems.
Buy local. :grin:
If you can get internet prices at a local shop, then go for it. We have one shop, you will pay at least 30% more there than online. I do have a buddy with a small shop who gets me most the stuff I need at cost, so I get a bunch of my stuff through him if I manage to get out to his place when I need to.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:They are all probably using the same clearinghouse...
the charges included:

womens' cheap jewelry
walmart.com - for music cd's
a muslim charity
netflix

LOL, these are small-timers IMO... and dumb to boot. I think they're just the people who work for the card companies/ or merchants for peanuts, and every so often one of them gets the idea they can skim a little and not get caught.
I use a 500 dollar max card for most of my internet stuff and it gets noticed real fast when it goes over limit.

This is the fourth time it's happened to us, and it has always followed motorcycle gear purchases (among other vendors), so I have to wonder if it is a motorcycle merchants' "in house" problem. It is frustrating. I once asked the credit card people if they go after the crooks, and I was told "no". That was a couple of years ago tho'
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

The merchant ends up losing when the CC company charge them back.
Then we all pay more when we buy ****.......
gregp

Post by gregp »

I am also a member of the forum that the OP mentioned, and I was hit twice! Each time, my card company had no issues crediting my account, but it is a total PITA! I have had new cards issued twice in 6 months.
Some say that they culprits will make small charges, often to charities, to validate the account info., then, if it all goes OK, hit it for big purchases.
RMATV is aware of the problem, but has not been able to find the problem.
I am not so sure that the problem lies with their system. The last time my card was hacked, the only purchase I made was with PayPal... so, IMO, even using a secure 3rd party, protection can not be guaranteed.
I would use my local shop, but again, prices are way over internet deals by 30-50%.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I now use RMATV's "Bill Me Later" option rather than a credit card. That process uses no credit cards and you are billed via snail mail a typical billing invoice (you can also auto pay thru a checking account). The interest rates and late fees are similar to credit cards, but you don't have to put that account number out there for hackers to grab. BTW, Bill Me Later is accepted by a number of vendors. So far, I'm very pleased with the setup.