Street Legal kit

Got questions? We got answers....
stel67

Street Legal kit

Post by stel67 »

For those of you have have converted the KDX to street legal, what kit did you use and would you use it again? Any tips on things to look out for when using kit in question.
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

I have used Baja Designs kits on a couple of conversions (KDX and KX500).
The KDX was a fully integrated kit where you install the components and wiring harness; the KX was a kit where almost everything is pre-mounted on the headlight unit.

BD has a lot of experience, and knows their stuff.
The kits work well for getting registered, but not for true night riding.
I've ended up changing the rear light on the KDX to a newer LED design with the signals mounted to the tail light assembly, and modified the hydraulic brake switch mounting to fit better. The stock KDX stator output is pretty weak. I cleaned up a lot of the wiring and connections, but that's just me.

The KX, well, that's another story.

What state are you in?
What other items are needed in your state (DOT tires? speedo? mirrors?)
What kinda riding are you planning on doing?

Barry
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
gregp

Post by gregp »

Agreed. Baja Designs really knows what they are doing. I have made a couple of bikes "steet legal" (inspectable) myself, and it can be done, but it takes some time. I installed a BD kit on an XR600, and it was easy, except for the part where I had to solder a wire onto the existing stator. This was a bit difficult because Honda leaves very little "spare" wire to play with.
I bought my current '04 KDX200 with a BD kit already installed, but it had been hacked up pretty badly, and was missing some components as it was designed for legality in another state (VA - I needed MA compliance). BD has most of their schematics online, in PDF format, free for the taking. I also called them because I was having trouble with their "floating ground" concept. They were extremely helpful, even though I was not the original purchaser.
My bike was also missing the battery, which is a critical component of their kits. BD uses sub-C battery packs. I just purchased some rechargeable AA ni-cads, and soldered up my own 12v pack. It works great!
Keep in mind that depending on your state, you may need a chain guard (I did), and BD did not supply that.
I love my perfectly legal KDX! No other dual sport comes close, for the tight technical riding that I do.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
gregp

Post by gregp »

I saw that Rocky Mountain ATV sells some less expensive kits lately (TUSK brand). They seem to be OK, from what I have read, but may take some creativity on your part.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
heckler

Post by heckler »

Seems like Baltimore has it's own version of "street legal". Wow.

[youtube][/youtube]
stel67

Post by stel67 »

I live in Colorado. The main reason to make it street legal is to just get to other trails that have to be accessed via hiway or road, where you have to be street legal. I have seen a few kdx on craigs list already made street legal. Almost seems it would be cheaper to sell mine and then buy one already set up.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I did not use a kit. I added an Acerbis mirror, a universal 12v horn and hydraulic brake switch from Fredette, and wired in two cheapy 1157 LED tail/brake light bulbs. I did the whole conversion for about $60. Also, I am running a 35 watt headlight and the stock stator.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
gregp

Post by gregp »

To the OP - it really depends on your state, and what they will require to get you through their process. I have set up "total-loss" systems using (2) 9v batteries, wired in series, to get me through our inspection process, but I would never rely on it to get me home after dark.
I wish I could get by with SS109's approach, but my state (MA) requires much more than that. If you dig around on the web, you should be able to find the list of requirements for your state.
I was, however, able to wire up my stock 35w headlight for high/low beam.
You may find that you need things like - a high beam indicator, both froant and rear directionals, both front and rear brake light switches, and a clear lens portion for the tail light lens - for plate illumination. I needed all of these things, and more.
You can do it yourself, and it is usually not a lot of money, but it can be a lot of work.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
stel67 wrote:I live in Colorado. The main reason to make it street legal is to just get to other trails that have to be accessed via hiway or road, where you have to be street legal. I have seen a few kdx on craigs list already made street legal. Almost seems it would be cheaper to sell mine and then buy one already set up.
I have a BD kit and agree in full with the above statements.

I rode in Moab a few years ago with some guys from Colorado and they had very minimal dual sport stuff and said not much was required. They were on XR's that had just brake/tail light, and the factory headlight. They said signals, horns, mirrors and the other stuff wasn't needed. It may have changed though, and they were from a very rural area.
michael

Post by michael »

I just finished my conversion on a 91 200. The stator runs the headlight and LED stop tail lights. A battery in the air box takes care of LED indicators, horn and power supply for a trailtech (vapor) dash. pretty straight foreward, the biggest problem by far was the dash giving very erratic readings but it was fixed with a resisted spark plug......
tcrdude
Supporting Member

Post by tcrdude »

>|<>QBB<
michael wrote:I just finished my conversion on a 91 200. The stator runs the headlight and LED stop tail lights. A battery in the air box takes care of LED indicators, horn and power supply for a trailtech (vapor) dash. pretty straight foreward, the biggest problem by far was the dash giving very erratic readings but it was fixed with a resisted spark plug......

That's the exact same thing I've done. I also had to buy a separate UFO Ghibli headlight to run the Hi/Low Beams. I recommend using an aftermarket aluminum license plate bracket and simple LED bolts etc for illuminating the plate.
michael

Post by michael »

I used a acerbis dhh? headlight. And just fabricated a plate holder that has to double as a rear wheel fender. She is now on the road, supermoto setup is looking like fun......
paulkdx220

Post by paulkdx220 »

will LED lights run right off of the AC electrics?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
paulkdx220 wrote:will LED lights run right off of the AC electrics?
Yes.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:To the OP - it really depends on your state, and what they will require to get you through their process. I have set up "total-loss" systems using (2) 9v batteries, wired in series, to get me through our inspection process, but I would never rely on it to get me home after dark.
I wish I could get by with SS109's approach, but my state (MA) requires much more than that. If you dig around on the web, you should be able to find the list of requirements for your state.
You may find that you need things like - a high beam indicator, both froant and rear directionals, both front and rear brake light switches, and a clear lens portion for the tail light lens - for plate illumination. I needed all of these things, and more.
You can do it yourself, and it is usually not a lot of money, but it can be a lot of work.
Greg, I also live in Mass.

I do not have a title. I have a Cert of Origin. Can you tell me how I can go about getting a plate?

Thank you,

David
szmytty

Post by szmytty »

I live in NH and just did the street legal kit this spring. I used the Pro Cycle and the kit is awesome. I simply layed out the harness, drilled the holes for the light and stuffed everything behind the light. I also used the Speedometer that worked perfectly with the OEM cable drive from the front wheel. Be aware that you will want to upgrade the stator if you want to use the headlight and the directionals at the same time

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm

:rolleyes:
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I just bought the Baja Designs kit and a Trailtech speedo in prep for making my KDX street legal when it becomes an option in Washington state on January 1. I have not installed them yet however. The Baja Designs looks pretty straight forward. Although it was kinda spendy, I got it because it was mostly contained in the headlight shell. The other kits I found online looked very generic, and like gregp said you might have to be a little creative during the installation.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

>|<>QBB<
Fatherof2 wrote:>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:To the OP - it really depends on your state, and what they will require to get you through their process. I have set up "total-loss" systems using (2) 9v batteries, wired in series, to get me through our inspection process, but I would never rely on it to get me home after dark.
Greg, I also live in Mass.

I do not have a title. I have a Cert of Origin. Can you tell me how I can go about getting a plate?

Thank you,

David

Any thoughts Greg?

Thank you.
OU812

Street Legal kit

Post by OU812 »

Heard of a 9v battery setup for head and tail light. Looking to make my KX250 just barely legal.
The older I get the faster I was....