Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

Sounds funky.
1992 KDX 200; RB head; Fatty pipe; stock carb; Stock silencer

40 / 150 / CGK pos 3
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Ultra copper will seal the head, my old 125 had pitting and it never leaked with the UC. The helicoils aren't that big of a deal, except the part about him missing a few damaged threads and you have to coil them yourself. Given that it's not even your original cylinder, well that's BS in my opinion! I was planning to send mine to him this winter because of my past experiences talking with him when I was an active member years ago on dirt"rider".net forum and he posted tech stuff there. I will NOT be doing that now
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

I completely agree with the BS on having to helicoil a few myself. However, to his credit, the machine work looks beautiful.

I didn't mean to bad-mouth him, he has a great reputation. I just got the feeling that a top-end to him is like us filling our bikes with gas... it's childs play and is easily accomplished. He focuses his talent on the machine work.

I'll post more pictures of before and after I fixed the cylinder (more helicoils, cleaning, paint and installation).

I had a cylinder done by LASleeve a few years ago... never again.. their machine work is horrible.

I would absolutely use Eric again,.. I would just be VERY clear on what I'm looking for. Maybe even write it down before I call.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

So were the plugs damaged on the cylinder you sent in?

I haven't seen the volume of cylinder heads that he has, but I've never had a problem with the heads on the Kawi's that I've owned nor have I read about it being a problem. Makes me think the threads on that head were damaged to begin with.
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

No, my cylinder was absolutely pristine. Maybe he was slammed with work and swapped nuts/bolts with someone else's.

Every time I call he sounds crazy busy.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I don't know about all that, sounds fishy.

I've never heard great reports about the 225 job. Seems like trying to make the KDX motor something it isn't.

Do take a close look at the bore the KIPS actuating rod runs in for the RH subport valve. That rod has an o-ring seal on it. The plating/pickling process gets that bore very rough and you'll end up with sticky KIPS valve operation. Emory cloth on the right size drill bit will fix it, but you better check before you put the cylinder on 'cause you can't do it on the bike.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

bmiller wrote:I completely agree with the BS on having to helicoil a few myself. However, to his credit, the machine work looks beautiful.

I didn't mean to bad-mouth him, he has a great reputation. I just got the feeling that a top-end to him is like us filling our bikes with gas... it's childs play and is easily accomplished. He focuses his talent on the machine work.
I didn't think you were bad mouthing him. I am just less than impressed with your experience. I was thinking more along the lines of cylinder porting and the RB carb and head mods vs a "big bore" anyway, so I need to research my options there.
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

I'll pull the kips apart and take a look. I should have ordered new o-rings... dammit... Another two weeks...
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

:shock:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

Hate to say it but this is typical Eric Gore!
Do a little reading on the web, he is renown for pulling this crap.
That guy had one of my engines for over three months, then when he finally got around to sending it back to me, it wasn't even my engine!
I had a real time with this guy, he is a real bone head IMHO.
I will never, I repeat never, give Eric Gore any work or recommend him to anyone ever again! :butthead:
Last edited by Griffbones on 06:46 am Oct 05 2010, edited 1 time in total.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
Griffbones wrote:Hate to say it but this is typical Eric Gore!
Do a little reading on the web, he is renown for pulling this crap.
That jack ass had one of my engines for over three months, then when he finally got around to sending it back to me, it wasn't even my engine!
I had a real time with this guy, he is a real bone head IMHO.
I will never, I repeat never, give Eric Gore any work or recommend him to anyone ever again! :butthead:
Wow,.. I've only read good things so far. Who do you use for machine work now?
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

For cylinder plating US Chrome, machine work a local guy. All other things I do myself.
US Chrome used to do all of Eric's plating and they even rented him some shop space to work out of, until he pissed them off too. Now he has moved onto Power Seal as his plating company. Eric has bad mouthed Max Power/RPM, but he actually worked for Max Power when they first started their plating business in the USA several years ago. That was prior to Rick Peterson Racing merging with Max Power.
Eric is a very good tuner, just a poor business man.
Last edited by Griffbones on 06:46 am Oct 05 2010, edited 2 times in total.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
Griffbones wrote:For cylinder plating US Chrome, machine work a local guy. All other things I do myself.
US Chrome use to do all of Eric's plating and they even rented him some shop space to work out of, until he pissed them off too. Now he has moved onto Power seal. Eric bad mouths Max Power/RPM, but he actually worked for Max Power when they first started their plating business in the USA several years ago. That was prior to Rick Peterson Racing merging with Max Power.
Eric is a good tuner, just a poor business man.
Excellent information and history... thanks.
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Cool, gotta love new parts :grin: .
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

Reassembly begins!

http://www.phospher.com/index.php/2000_KDX_200

Do those bar clamps look correct? Also, what is the little alan set screw on the side of the axel for?

ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Looking good . . . . . . . :supz:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

That Allen set screw looks like it holds the fork or disc guard?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:That Allen set screw looks like it holds the fork or disc guard?
That's what a few of my buddies were telling me. It doesn't appear to be structural.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

So what's the scoop on your cylinder. Did you decide to install the coils and use it?

2003 KDX200