Smoke coming kips exhaust valve

Got questions? We got answers....
tom dubya

Smoke coming kips exhaust valve

Post by tom dubya »

Hey guys I just got done fixing a coolant leak into my gear oil and when i finally was able to get it cranked up I noticed smoke coming out of the kips exhuast valve. The rod moves freely in and out like it should but the coller that goes into the top end case is loose and that is where the smoke is leaking from. Is this something i need to be concerned with, do i need to get it fixed now or is it ridable.
I have a pic of what i'm talking about but I can't figure out how to post it.
tom dubya

Post by tom dubya »

Lets see if this works,took a vid of it. Hopefully you can see it. Not the smoke but where it is coming out from, i'm point at it where the screw driver.

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

If I recall, there's a seal in there. Is is missing / broken / cracked / etc? Look on the parts fiche to see what I'm talking about. Might need to be replaced or regreased.
'00 KDX 220R
tom dubya

Post by tom dubya »

Yea there is an oil seal in there but its not leaking any noticeable oil just smoke coming out around the coller,but that coller's loose to the touch. I'm just not in the mood to pull off the top end and get in there. Plus i'd have to wait on parts,blah. I just replaced the oil seal on the water pump shaft and i haven't rode all summer cause its just been to dang hot. Now that its cooling off I'd like to take it out this weekend but its not worth doing more serious damage if that would be the case, I just don't know. :?

Should i ride it or what? lol