airbox lid removed?

Got questions? We got answers....
heckler

airbox lid removed?

Post by heckler »

So, the bike (05 KDX220) I just bought had the airbox lid removed and the box and filter were full of dust. Buddy gave me the lid, I assume he removed it for better airflow.

I did think this bike ran much better than my last 220, but that could be for a myriad of reasons.

The engineer in me thinks opening the box wide open to dirt and water is a bad thing, so I reinstalled it.

Opinions? Experiences? Thanks!
HRDROKN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by HRDROKN »

Removing the airbox lid is generally considered a performance enhancement.

All mine have been removed.

:supz:
HRDROKN
00' KTM 300exc (sold)
99'/03' KXD Hybrid, ****'s Racing Susp, RB carb / head mod.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

There's other options to get the same result
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
heckler

Post by heckler »

what about a reliability inhibitor? i.e. when you ride in the rain or puddles or mud and suck in water.

Has anyone fubared their engine with an open airbox lid?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

if you keep your air filter clean, shouldn't be an issue, unless you like to use your bike as a submarine :roll:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I run mine without the lid and no problems so far. Of course, I live in the desert so there are not a whole lot of opportunities to drown my bike. :mrgreen: Remember, dirt in the air box is not a problem. Dirt past your air cleaner is. :cool:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Buy one of those airbox washing covers, so that during cleaning you can just pull the seat off and pressure wash the inside of the airbox squeaky clean everytime!
'00 KDX 220R
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

my 03 220 never really liked the airbox lid removed (even after i re-jetted it ripped on wide open throttle but i lost some of the bottom end grunt)...instead i just removed the snorkle & leaned off the jetting now it pulls strong in every gear, & sounds much better too..i cut the foot off a pair of the girlfriends old tights & slip that over the air filter in dusty or muddy conditions, then remove it when it gets a dirty...the air filter remains clean & wont need cleaning for several more rides. .helpful tip!
Jayhawk Ken

Post by Jayhawk Ken »

I have always wondered if the louder intake noise makes people think it makes more power. Not sure it can be explained by increased airflow, since the C/S area of the snorkle opening is larger than the carb throat diameter.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

I've never used the airbox lid on mine, no problems yet (almost 2 years). Looks to me like if your riding in dusty enough conditions to get a layer in the airbox, it would do it with the lid or without. Same for getting water in the motor. Submerge it with the motor running, and it's going to fill it with water even with the lid on it.
Just keep the filter cleaned, and it'll all be good. :grin:
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

Personally I didn't notice much of a power increase on our stock KDX when removing the air box lid. This was tested when I was jetting the bike and trying different combinations. This is not too say that it didn't add some power, but on a stock bike with only a pipe and silencer change it wasn't dramatic.

As far as reliability, I wouldn't worry about it, most MX bikes come from the factory with an open airbox. As mentioned, keep the filter clean and well oiled and you will be fine with the lid removed. As far as water goes, this would mean you were seat deep in water, right? I think at that point you are awful close to filling the exhaust with water too, so what's the difference.

My .02 worth
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
heckler

Post by heckler »

thanks guys.

as for water - I'm thinking monsoon downpours that we sometimes get stuck in the forest with in Vancouver (aka raincouver)
mtnickel

Post by mtnickel »

Personally I didn't notice much of a power increase on our stock KDX when removing the air box lid. This was tested when I was jetting the bike and trying different combinations. This is not too say that it didn't add some power, but on a stock bike with only a pipe and silencer change it wasn't dramatic.

As far as reliability, I wouldn't worry about it, most MX bikes come from the factory with an open airbox. As mentioned, keep the filter clean and well oiled and you will be fine with the lid removed. As far as water goes, this would mean you were seat deep in water, right? I think at that point you are awful close to filling the exhaust with water too, so what's the difference.

My .02 worth
I second this. If you do the calculations of the flow area of the snorkle. It's easily 20%+ bigger than the flow area of the Throttle body. I added 2 more 1" "snorkels" with PVC elbows (function exactly like stock snorkle) just for peace of mind.
I think the perceived power increase is the same reason why 95HP honda owners think the intake made their rides faster...it adds a fair bit of sound/throatyness to the motor.

My additional .02 worth :)
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Main (only) thing I miss the airbox lid for.. it was a good place to mount the little rectifier thing.
Got it screwed to the inside of the box now, but it's a PITA having to take it off to change the air filter.
Need to look for another place to put it I guess.
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

That little rectifier thing is really the CDI box. :grin:
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
heckler

Post by heckler »

my bike's previous owner had the CDI box zip tied firmly to the frame on the left of the air box. Nicely out of the way.
heckler

Post by heckler »

so, FWIW, i've decided to go with no snorkle, but keeping the lid.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
heckler wrote:my bike's previous owner had the CDI box zip tied firmly to the frame on the left of the air box. Nicely out of the way.
I'll have a look at doing something like that too.
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
OLHILLBILLY wrote:>|<>QBB<
heckler wrote:my bike's previous owner had the CDI box zip tied firmly to the frame on the left of the air box. Nicely out of the way.
I'll have a look at doing something like that too.
+1 That's where mine is and it stays put.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX