3 kicks
17%
3+ kicks
No votes

Total votes: 30

bronco95tgp

How many kicks?

Post by bronco95tgp »

How many kicks does it take to start your bike when the motor is cold? Mine takes 3 from a cold start with the choke on. Is this good, bad, or right on the money?
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's fine Bronco...if it takes more than 4 you would have a problem somewhere.

...mine usually takes 1 unless I forget and leave the plug in the silencer.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

How would you class 2 prime kicks with the kill switch off and then she'll fire on the next ??? I'm guessing 3 ???

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

My '94 took one kick when cold. My '87 is one or two.

I offered to help you jet your bike last year. Your right leg, exhaust pipe and silencer/spark arrestor should be built up pretty well by now. Keep kickin', cool chicken.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I usually lean over the seat and start it by hand with 1 or 2 pushes.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

My 89 used to take 1 kick, now that the kick starter pawl is getting a little on the worn side it takes 2 generally...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

So what you are saying Jason, is that the number of kicks it takes to start my bike has a fairly direct relation to the way I have it jetted? I have done a little work on my jets following the guide that I printed off of this site or the other site or somewheres like that, I know they are not perfect but I think it is pretty close...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If it takes 3 kicks to start a 2004 bike, then something is wrong, either in jetting, starting technique or something. I think with a little tweaking of one of those, it should be starting right up. How many kicks does it take when the engine is completely warm?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My KDX sat for eight months and started on the 3rd kick, even with eight month old gas in it. :supz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Mine takes two when cold and one when warm in gear or not.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

My bike starts on the first kick when it has been running, say for example after a break while riding, it always starts on the first kick. I always turn the gas off and let the bike run until it dies when I plan to put her away, then when it comes time to start back up, I turn the gas on, pull the choke up, and then kick it three times, and like clockwork it starts on the 3rd time. Sometimes after I wash it with the pressure washer, it may take more than 3 kicks. :oops:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There it is...

If you ride frequently... no need to run it out of gas to clear bowl. If you still do this.... just give it a crank or two on the throttle after you turn the gas back on... this will fill the bowl up so it will start.

No gas=No start! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Maybe turn the fuel flow on, then wait longer to let it fill the bowl up first. Try that sometime and report back. Let it flow for a few minutes to make sure it is full. I know it will fill up in less time, but it is just to make sure.
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

I did a new top end and it started on the second kick. Just like always when cold. First kick always when warm though.
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders
Vermont Motocross Association

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'just give it a crank or two on the throttle after you turn the gas back on'

Yes. This enables the accelerator pump to 'prime' the cylinder so it starts easer.

...right? :rolleyes:

Oh...that's my 700SC.

Well...IT has Keihin carbs, TOO (four of 'em!)..so they gotta be the same as the Keihin on the Kawi...right?

This isn't a big deal, is it? Three is fine, two is fine. IMO, I'd be pretty sure the bike was way too rich if it starts with one kick on a choke-cold start with the airscrew set to a 'riding' position.

My bike has always started first kick after a rebuild. Real good piston/cylinder seal probably.

If you start on three kicks, you're fine.

Start by hand? Wow. My knuckles against the peg once would sure cure me of THAT! :wink:

Well, I've started my bike by hand before..but only when I had to...too steep..can't reach the kicker with my foot...stuff like that.

re: running it out of fuel.

To each his own. As you do that, the engine runs more and more lean. On a 2-smoke that means less and less lubrication. Makes much more sense to me, from a longevity standpoint, to choke it to death.

Also, any varnish deposits are more likely from an empty fuel bowl than a full one.

During this 'drain' process, be sure to wrap the throttle up to about 3/4! It will take a lot less time to empty the bowl that way! :wink:

Foghorn Leghorn wrote: ..I say I say...thass'a joke, son.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I'd be pretty sure the bike was way too rich if it starts with one kick on a choke-cold start with the airscrew set to a 'riding' position.
Nope, 'fraid not.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If anything... I'm on the lean side of things... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'd never want to actually be afraid of such a thing....
:wink:

To each his own!

I promise not to kick your bike if you promise not to jet mine!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do I sound like such a poor mechanic that there is no way it could do it? Your experience with your one KDX may not reflect upon the entire KDX population. Just because you can't crank yours with one kick, doesn't mean that it is jetted properly no more than mine would be jetted improperly because it can be cranked with one kick.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Jason wrote:Do I sound like such a poor mechanic
No, but sounds like your fruit o' the looms need to be readjusted! :mrgreen:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS