Flywheel weight???

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Flywheel weight???

Post by rbates9 »

I am just looking for some pros and cons of adding a flywheel weight from some of the people that have put one on. I ride mostly pretty steep trails with lots of rocks, roots, and a little mud. My bike has a woods pipe turbine core II and boisen reeds, thats about it for engine up grades. I would like to do the RB carb mods in the future but I am just looking for a little more bottom for right now. Also what weights are available and what seems to work the best?
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

A FWW will not add any power, it will only tame down the hit of a two stroke slightly, and make the bike slightly less apt to stall due to the extra rotating mass. The KDX is already very smooth, I really can't see the need for a flywheel weight myself.

I have used FWW's before, but mainly on MX bikes converted to woods use.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I didn't expect it to "add" power, just help with the lug on the bottom. Maybe maintain a little more rpm when she is lugging. Most of what I ride is half throttle or less.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

A flywheel weight just makes the motor wind up slower and wind down slower. Slowing down the "winding up" is the "taming the hit" part that you hear everyone talk about. Slowing down the "winding down" is the "helps with stalling" part that you hear everyone talking about. A flywheel weight may do what you want but so would shifting and clutching. Sounds to me like what would really do what you want is one of those auto clutches. I'm seriously considering a Revlok clutch for my KDX 200 just to make it easier for my daughter and my son's girlfriend to ride when they ride with us.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

A flywheel weight helps control wheelspin where traction is lacking if you have an engine capable of breaking traction. Shifting and clutching may help some as will throttle control to some extent, but even holding an even throttle won't help if the traction is uneven and your rear wheel is hopping around. If you need every option, like when riding a rocky uphill or navigating through slimey roots, etc., the extra flywheel weight will help. If your plastic looks like crap after a few rides, your probably the kind of rider who could use a flywheel. If your bike is pretty, and your plastic looks like new even tho you've ridden it for a year, you probably won't need a flywheel. :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Search on here for carb needles and do some reading as well. The needle can drastically change the 'hit'
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I personally don't feel that a FWW is needed on a KDX. Proper jetting along with choosing the right gear and good throttle/clutch control will get you through, up, or over just about anything. Of course, this is all IMO and YMMV. :cool:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The KDX doesn't stall like a MX bike.... I never even considered a FWW.... or auto-clutch.... or... :mrgreen:

I think she is about perfect in it's stock form other than suspension and carburation....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I know what a flywheel weight is and what it dose. I was just looking for some input from people who have tried them.... I do realize that it dose not magically make more horse power aper from the sky. But they do give more tractability. If no one on here has tried one that is fine, maybe I could be the first.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Go for it. All most of us are saying is that we don't see any reason to add one to a KDX. If you feel you need more low end then try it and see what you think or maybe find yourself a 4t.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

If no one on here has tried one that is fine, maybe I could be the first.

I have run them several times, just not on the KDX, because I don't feel the the KDX needs one IMHO.
If you really want to try one go here http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/
In fact here is a link to their KDX 10 ounce weight. http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/flywheel- ... eight.html
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
jlove1974
Supporting Member

Post by jlove1974 »

LOL, if you have ever disassembled the engine and taken the flywheel off, you'll know why you don't need a weight. It's already PRE-weighted from the factory. This flywheel weighs ALOT more than a MX-style rotor assembly.

I would think about lightening it more than I would ever think to add weight to this flywheel. It has to weigh a few lbs already
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I can't imagine not having it, but then again I don't live where it's flat as a pancake

It really helps keeping the motor running going down long steep hills easuer

Another added benefit is that when your motor starts to stall, and it stops making any kind of sound, sometimes you can pull the clutch in fast enough and the bike fires back up
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I can't imagine not having it, but then again I don't live where it's flat as a pancake

It really helps keeping the motor running going down long steep hills easuer

Another added benefit is that when your motor starts to stall, and it stops making any kind of sound, sometimes you can pull the clutch in fast enough and the bike fires back up
It sure ain't flat where I ride. :grin: I just don't see the KDX needing any additional weight personally, but to each his own. I can see why some folks would like it, I just don't want the KDX to rev any slower and I feel it is already ultra smooth. Maybe you guy's with the hot rod mods from RB would find additional weight more useful?
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

With the rb mods a fww is needed even less I find. The kdx has a heavy flywheel stock.
'00 KDX 220R
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Just the opposite with my 220, it hits very hard right off of idle and wheelspin becomes a problem in poor traction. The flywheel is a definite plus.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.