KDX makes a new sound

Got questions? We got answers....
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KDX makes a new sound

Post by johnyblaze »

I took a bad getoff (bad landing on a jump) about 2 weeks ago. Finally started the bike again yesterday and it had a distictly new sound to it. Sounds kinda like the decel pop I hear on my 4T's except it's at all times. A very sharp brap sound at the exhaust, not at the bottom end.

Bike rides good and makes great power - still wheelies 1-4 with stock gearing. Starts quite easily as well - so all-in-all I'm not overly worried. Initially thought maybe the pipe/silencer joint opened up in the crash and may have led to a lean condition but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The bike was also in the rain a few days ago - and got some water in the exhaust. A lot flew out when I kicked it over - so much that I checked the coolant to make sure I didn't have a blown gasket.

Could the rainwater change the sound of the exhaust? Also, is it possible the getoff moved some silencer packing around and I need a repack?

Lil help please.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Water can ruin the packing, so YES it can change the exhaust sound.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Thanks Green Hornrt. I had already come to the same conclusion because the sound is nearly gone after using it a bit. Packing must be drying out.

We had a BIG unexpected rainfall a few days ago and I had left the bike outside the garage while we were finishing up stacking wood for the upcoming winter. Yes, the bung guard was missing.... I know.

Thanks again
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S