Frame changes through the years

Got questions? We got answers....
barryadam
Supporting Member

Frame changes through the years

Post by barryadam »

What specific changes to the frames are there in the recent models and when were they?
I know the latest model is unchanged other than cosmetics from 199? (?) or so, through 2004. Were there any changes other than the motor prior to that? I'm not talking about the forks.
Were there any specific frame differences in the KDX 220 and KDX 200 in the past?
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

89-94... everything is the same except the 93 and 94 forks were USD. 95 and up... everything is the same other than it's either a 220 or 200..... Oh... and of course BNG.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

Is there any difference in just the frame from the 89-94s and the 94-04s?
How about from an '88 to either of the above?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I don't think the engine mount points have changed since the air-cooled models. The newest design (new perimeter frame) began in 95 not 94 with many differences from the previous model, which, in turn had many differences from the air-cooled C model. My guess is that you can swap out virtually any engine, and some limited suspension components.

I plan to build up a C model with USD forks and probably add a rear disk brake. Brush buster time.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

So if I was to get an older frame for my 1999 KDX220, it could be a 200 or 220 from 95 and newer? I want to use all of my 1999 engine, suspension, etc. Just the frame swap.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

yup..
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
barryadam wrote:So if I was to get an older frame for my 1999 KDX220, it could be a 200 or 220 from 95 and newer? I want to use all of my 1999 engine, suspension, etc. Just the frame swap.
Is your frame fubar or ? why the swap?
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

Saw some POS candidates available that are already legit plated for the street.
I have one plated and one not. Wish I had 2 plated.

One candidate has blue forks, so I'm guessing that's the 92-94?
If so, what's it's frame not got that my 1999 does?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

mounts in the right place and a completely different design....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

blue usd forks will be 93/94. And yeah, the frame is completely different. Closer to a kx500 frame than a 95+ kdx frame.
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

Crap. Thanks, guys.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

you could still use your front triples and front forks- wheel, brakes, etc., and I bet the engine would swap out with minimum effort. There's nothing wrong with the older frame design at all. You'd probably be stuck with the older exhaust design which was good - they had an aluminum muffler stock - my 89 hauled arse. LOL, you might find that the older engine porting/exhaust design has more poop than your newer model. Hits harder lower in the rpm's.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
wparkinson4

Post by wparkinson4 »

So being a NOOB here...

I just bought a 90 KDX200 being told that it was a 95.... Not knowing the real difference I bought it... From what the PO said he put a 95 power plant in it.... could that be correct? The motor is the same just new frame and plastics on the 95-06?

WP
wparkinson4

Post by wparkinson4 »

Oh yea... I got it for $200... yes it needs work.. but I think it can be repaired....

WP
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Motor changed in 95... the KIPS is stronger (as in not breaking) The 90 is a better motor though IMO. Run the serial number of your motor on Kawasaki's site.... Or a few pics and we can identify it for ya...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****