Install master link on an o-ring chain?

Got questions? We got answers....
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Install master link on an o-ring chain?

Post by DirtDaddy »

OK guys, got a "dumb question" here. I'm putting a new o-ring chain on my sons KDX200 and I'm having a heck of a time getting the master link on. I can't seem to get the o-rings to stay up on the shoulder of the plates to be able to get the outside plate and clip on. Do I need to just squeeze the link with some pliers and force the o-rings onto the shoulder or ???
heckler

Post by heckler »

I'd like to hear this as well, as I just squeezed the link with some pliers, and then squeezed the clip on with pliers, and lost the clip within 3 days of riding.

I know one thing - make sure the clip has the closed side leading the chain direction (facing forward on the top of the swingarm)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... they are a pain in the ass.... I have a littl clamping device that helps me....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

So it sounds like you just need to force them together with something, maybe a small c-clamp or something similar. That would reallybe a pita out on the trail. I wasn't sure if the o-rings would slide up onto the "shoulders" of the links or get pinched and keep the plates from pressing in far enough to get the clip on. Anyone else with words of wisdom feel free to chime in!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I use vice grips and progressively clamp the link left-middle-right until the clip groove is exposed
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:I use vice grips and progressively clamp the link left-middle-right until the clip groove is exposed
Similar here, except I use two small pairs of vise grips.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

Pro Motion sells the right tool for the job.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
gregp

Post by gregp »

I have used Channellocks or Visegrips, and a small socket (over the pins). Just go from one pin to the other, and walk the plate all the way on.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Works every time!

Mini-Chain Press

My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I have that same chain press and it makes the job a snap. I got mine from rocky mountain for 10 bucks. Next time you make a RM order, remember that $100 and the shipping is free. I bought this just to fill out the order to get the free shipping, so, considering I saved the shipping, about $10, It was like getting it for free.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|QBB<[/url]
skythrasher wrote:Works every time!

Mini-Chain Press

Exactly what I have too!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jimjohnson

Post by jimjohnson »

A little chain grease does a good job holding the o-rings in place while your getting it together then just like the rest I use a pair of needle nose vice grips......tho those chain presses look pretty sweet
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

Thanks for the replies. Placing my order for the mini chain tool from Rocky Mountain today!