"Dial-A-Jet" for KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

"Dial-A-Jet" for KDX?

Post by wanaride »

I read in this month's "Dirt Bike" magazine about a jetting kit called "Dial-A-Jet" that made huge improvements for a KTM 300MXC. Has anyone heard of this working in a KDX?
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Dial-a-Jet has been around for about as long as I have.

...a long time.

It is applicable/useable in a Keihin, thus would work as well as it works in a KDX.

But, the answer to your question (from me anyway) is, 'No.' I know of no one that has used one one a KDX.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I rode an enduro last year on the same minute as an A rider who had it on his KTM 300EXC. He swears by it. Just jet the bike overall lean, and this thing makes up the difference for a correct AF mix under any conditions. Doug (KX500 riding buddy is getting one to stick on his bike.) Looks easy to install. If his works good, I'll be next.
If anyone wants to sponsor me, I'll get it now and provide a test report. :wink:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

canyncarvr wrote:It is applicable/useable in a Keihin, thus would work as well as it works in a KDX.

The only gotcha I can see from looking at the picture would be it interfering with the divider plate on the RB modded carbs.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Maybe someone could get Ron to look at this and offer some advise?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I wonder if you could run the Dial-A-Jet dually setup and just mount one above and one below divider plate?

On a related note, I saw a while ago that the Power Now airflow divider (similar to the insert that Ron machines into the carb) has been updated to the Power Now Plus. The only difference appears to be a hole in the middle of the insert that allows a little bit of equalization between the two sides, while still making the carb into a quasi two barrel. I wonder if a small hole in the divider plate that Ron puts in would have any affect?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Does Ron put his divider on the upstream side now?

:rolleyes:

...and I missed it??? :wink:

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Ron puts his divider on the intake side correct? Thats where the power now goes as well from what I can tell.

I just looked at their site and saw that the power now plus goes on the exhaust side. The power now and the power now plus are two different products, I thought the plus was just a revision on the original. My mistake - Doh!

Still I wonder how the divider plate would work with the Dial-A-Jet.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

skipro3 wrote:Maybe someone could get Ron to look at this and offer some advise?
That would be great! I'd be a test subject! :grin: (Hint Ron!)
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

m0rie wrote:Ron puts his divider on the intake side correct?
If 'intake' to you means reed side.

Looking at the carb on the right (looks like a PWK to me), notice the slide? You're looking at the upstream/airbox end of the carb. The orifice openings you can see tell you the same thing.

Don't know what the thing in the middle is. The LH carb looks like maybe a round slide Mikuni.

Anyway, the DJ nozzle does go on the upstream side...the airbox side.

How is the air the DJ uses filtered?

I've been somewhat curious about DJ stuff before, but never interested enough to try one. The idea of a nozzle sticking into the middle of the intake plenum..being metered by a dial...being advertised as 'automatic' doesn't impress me.

Oh...and the idea that it removes contaminants (water and such) from your carb...that's a hoot! They make it sound like some kind of engineered wonder. It just sucks fuel out of the bottom of the bowl, 'fer crine out loud.

Gee. What a marvel.

I'm not saying I know anything about 'em particularly..just not impressed.

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

CC - Thanks, I'm finally getting it. I was operating under the assumption that ron put the divider on the intake (airbox) side of the carb. Looking at the pictures on his site make it clear that he puts the divider on the exhaust (reed cage) side.

That means

a) i'm a goob :roll:
and
b) that there wouldn't be a fitting conflict between the dial-a-jet and ron's modifications.

Now that i've got that out of the way...would there be any benefit to running a divider on the upstream (airbox) side of the carb, with ron's divider on the downstream (reed) side?

*edit*
That really wouldn't work too well would it? You'd end up having half a carb that was just air with no fuel mixed?

Just trying to understand...

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The unit I saw on the KTM was on the reed side of the carb. In theory, the way it worked was, only fuel that could be vaporized would be added to the existing stream of fuel on it's way to the carb. That way, only burnable fuel was added. Maybe he told me wrong or I mis understood or it's a different product than those photos which clearly show the devise on the filter side of the carb.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

To each his own, for sure...but I've never gotten excited about an upstream divider.

One of the advantages of Ron's divider is it helps control the turbulence in the carb that you get after the intake charge dumps past the slide. What with all the different designs of slides you know there's a reason for 'em. Anytime an air mass flows from a more restricted place to a less restricted place (past the slide) there are going to be all sorts of twisties, whirlygigs and stuff going on.

You've seen smoke trails used in wind tunnels to 'see' air movement?

That's not a good way to get air from one place to another..with a bunch of whirling and swirling around.

No input on turboswirl heads and such, please. :neutral:

Anyway...I think the downstream divider is beneficial in that way...intake charge rarification. Kind of in the same way a velocity scoop works? Well...only just a little kind'a...

OK...more like the rarification you get from a K&N filter. That's a better comparison. It 'smooths' out the air some.

PowerNow thinks their stuff works. I dunno...maybe it does.

Actually, I think Mr. Black tried an upstream divider...not sure about that.

I would think it would interfere with some of the ports on the intake side the carb uses...

Consider the source

gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Powernow Plus (downstream) would actually make the carb smaller. Since its an insert on the reed/intake side of the carb which goes into the carb, the diameter is the stock minus the insert. Like Ron's mod with the divider, low end/mid should be improved but you should lose some topend since the overall new diameter and volume is less. Ron overbores the backside and then puts in an insert so the net result is higher velocities/ fuel signal at partial slide opening with an increase in overall once it's fully open. I can see the PNPlus helping people who spend most of their time at partial throttle (cheaper alternative to Ron's basic modification if the rest of the carb circuits work as they should) but unlike Ron's, the PNPlus should hurt those who also need WFO.
Right?

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Here is an excellent link to how mikuni carbs work.

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

Yes, it is the VM and we have PWK's but, the basics are excellent with the charts and fuel flows. Riding Buddy Doug got the VM for his KX500 and we have been tuning it. Read up and understand this and you will be well on your way to understanding carbs on 2 strokes. The pilot circuit works opposite the PWK though; it's called an "enrichener" circuit. Screw in makes things richer by adding fuel whereas the PWK screws in and cuts off air to make things richer. Things like throttle slide cut affecting fuel mix are also well explained.

Great photo CC of the RB carb from the filter point of view. That shows how a slide cut and the divider plate work in conjunction with each other.

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but somehow this all seems related.

P.S. Proto type indestructable bark busters have been built and tested with a 10 lb sledge with a full swing from me. It works!! Look for a write-up plus photos this weekend!!
Jerry