Anyone ride a KX100?

Got questions? We got answers....
JHNguyen89

Anyone ride a KX100?

Post by JHNguyen89 »

I'm very interested in picking up a KX100. I've had my KDX220 for about a year now, but rarely get the chance to ride. The other day I went for a ride with the lady for the first time in 4 months or so and it was also the first time riding in super dry conditions. The KDX220 has always felt a little tall for me and very top heavy. I've always felt a little uncomfortable riding it, thinking that I'd get used to the height and extra weight over time. I actually had Kouba Links installed for a short while, but felt it didn't make a big enough difference so I removed them. The weight of the bike scares me a bit. Power wise, I feel comfortable with the bike. Enough grunt down low and screamed up top if I needed it to. That being said, after awhile I thought I would play around on the lady's XR100. I had so much fun.. which really got me thinking about purchasing a smaller bike. I had much more fun riding her XR100 for 10 minutes maybe vs riding my KDX220 cautiously all day. I was extra cautious that day because being that it was the first time riding in dry conditions, I wasn't used to my front end constantly washing out.

Do you guys think the KX100 will work out for me? Should I stick with the KDX and try to get used to it?

I'm 5'7" and 140lbs. I race mountain bikes and spend most of the time riding them so this is probably one of the main reasons why I feel uncomfortable with a heavier bike.

I ride mostly on trails but sometimes play around on the track as well. I don't plan on racing moto.
tcrdude
Supporting Member

Post by tcrdude »

I'm about 5' 7" 145lbs with gear and backpack. I have a plated 2006 KX100 to go along with the KDX. I absolutely love it on trails. I like being able to ride it like a mountain bike (quick, light, and flickable; weighs as much as me). I switched the gearing to 15/48 to get a little more speed for the 45mph+ back roads. It's a mini KDX! To quiet down the bike, I had the expansion pipe wrapped and put on an FMF Q. If the bike feels too short, adjust the suspension and/or get a tall seat and handlebar risers.
JHNguyen89

Post by JHNguyen89 »

Sounds very similar to me.. :)

If you don't mind me asking.. when do you prefer riding the KDX over the KX visa versa?

The KX100 sounds like a perfect bike for me, but am consistently reading that it's way too small, even with upgrades to make it taller.
tcrdude
Supporting Member

Post by tcrdude »

My 2006 KDX 200 has yet to be plated or even lowered in fact. I'm on my tippytoes and the rear suspension is totally wrong for my weight. I have a 4.6 kg/mm spring sitting in my garage waiting to be installed properly when I find the time to take it in and get the full DMV inspection done. If I need it even lower after the spring and sag is properly adjusted, I may have the seat professionally shaved about an inch or less. I don't want to mess with lowering links.

The KX100 is easy to start and hop on to run errands or do a true dual sporting adventure. I have the shock set up so I am not flat-footed on it. I just got back from a western Maryland adventure on legal roads in worse condition than most regular trails. I'm sure the properly adjusted KDX will be just as fun, but more powerful and about 70lbs heavier. It's still not as heavy as my father's weak XT225.
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

My wife has one and absolutely loves it. She rides it like she stole it! I ride it sometimes and think it's a great bike. She is 5' 4" and weighs. (she would never tell, but I would say about 115). We put 1" tusk bar risers on it and that really opened up the riding compartment. I also installed a torque spacer, boysen power reeds, and a 12t CS sproket to give it more grunt b/c we ride trails. That thing has great low end for an MX bike with the mods listed above. I can lug it up hills almost as well as my 220!

KarlP's wife has one and he gave me some good tips on getting it set up. I think his carb and head was sent to RB...with good results, so that may be in the future for my wifes'.

John
JHNguyen89

Post by JHNguyen89 »

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone have a photo of a KX100 next to a KDX? Or next to any other full size bike?

The size is one of the main things that concern me about the KX100. I'm afraid it might be too small for my height/weight (5'7"/140lbs). I know that when I ride on the XR100 in stock form, the bars feel very low if I stand at all.
tcrdude
Supporting Member

Post by tcrdude »

It's about 3 inches taller than the XR and about 2.5X the power (I gots one too). I recommend you get to know your KDX by suiting its dimensions to your needs. If your really interested in a KX100, look a couple of them up on craigslist and pay them a visit to test ride before you buy. Don't buy any that have been resleeved or overly upgraded internally by the previous owner.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I think the KX100 is a great bike.

It sure is not an XR100! Way better suspension, much more motor. I bet it is lighter, as well

I've been using ours mostly for trail maintenance work. It is great fun to go blasting out to the area that needs work and it works very well plunking through the underbrush. I did send the carb and head off to RBD. The bike has excellent low end rideability and still screams up top.

At 5'7" you may be too tall by some standards. If you can get it comfortable for you, I think you'd find it a great bike and probably less "stressfull" than the KDX
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
JHNguyen89

Post by JHNguyen89 »

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I ended up finding a KX100 today for a great price an picked it up. From riding it around the block, I immediately noticed how much harder it hits than the KDX. This is most obvious in 1st gear. Seems like if I'm not watching the throttle, I'll easily end up on my back in 1st gear.

After doing some research, I am thinking about getting some higher bars and an aftermarket triple clamp to work on the fit a bit. But, the way it hits so hard in 1st has me thinking. Maybe I really am too big for the bike? Is it worth getting all these parts to make it fit better?

I figured since I'm a little taller and heavier than the average KX100 rider, I'd get the front end to pop up a lot easier than a smaller rider would..
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

How much 1st gear hammering do you expect to do?
I wouldn't worry about it. Your plan for bar risers and such is good.

The KX100 does require more throttle control than the KDX. You can tune out some of that hit.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
JHNguyen89

Post by JHNguyen89 »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:How much 1st gear hammering do you expect to do?
I wouldn't worry about it. Your plan for bar risers and such is good.

The KX100 does require more throttle control than the KDX. You can tune out some of that hit.
I won't be hammering it in 1st, it's just that I'm so used to the KDX that I probably will for awhile.. :)

The bars and triple crown are on order. Another thing I've thought about is a taller seat. Though, I'm afraid that since I'll have a higher center of gravity the front end will pull up even easier? What do you think?

And lastly, would you recommend the flywheel weight? I have a feeling that after I get used to it, I'll learn how to ride it as is. But, I've been reading that with a 12oz FWW it's an awesome woods machine.

Thanks for all the help Karl!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

FWW is good for any MX engine as they are purpose built to have the lightest possible flywheel.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
eroc198

Post by eroc198 »

well im 15 and like 5'6 and have a kdx 220 at stock height... i love it i guess its just riding style if. ive found i can control that front end sliding with the throttle and that its actually worse on my friends 85 bc it has to be revved more and is less powerful...... im happy you got want you want though man. you interested in selling the kdx?