Trans oil leak

Got questions? We got answers....
john316

Trans oil leak

Post by john316 »

Got a problem. Friday I replaced the base gasket and changed the trans fluid; all went smooth, no problems. I started the bike up after I was done to test and warm up so I could get the coolant level correct, and noticed oil dripping from the bottom of the bike. I assumed I had not tightened the drain plug, so I tightened the plug. Went riding Saturday, and after riding a few moments, I noticed oil all over the lower (below the cylinder) parts of the motor, mostly on the right side. I kept an eye on the level and kept riding. Eventually, the oil level got to the point where we had to stop. I am sure there is no leaks from the base gasket, not that trans oil would be coming from there. Any ideas please?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Clean it off, refill and ride. After a short while, do an inspection to find where it's leaking from. Post findings.
'00 KDX 220R
billyp10980
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by billyp10980 »

I had a leak also and replaced the gasket around the cover. I also replaced the seal around the kickstart. That lets oil leak out also. The leak stopped after replacing the kickstart seal.
john316

Post by john316 »

Okay, I washed/degreased, put new trans oil in, ran the bike. It looks like the oil is coming from the base gasket on the right side. Now I know that this is impossible, but that is what it looks like. Maybe the leak is coming from the side cover gasket, whick may give the appearence of the leak coming from the base gasket. But why would the side cove gasket start leaking after replacing the base gasket. That is odd?
john316

Post by john316 »

Upon closer observation, the leak is coming from the side cover gasket. Why that started to leak after I did the base gasket is a mystery.