Hydraulic brake light switch question

Got questions? We got answers....
KdxRiderX

Hydraulic brake light switch question

Post by KdxRiderX »

Hi all,
New to the forums (great information, has helped with other mods I've done).

I have a question for those who have tried to plate/dual sport their KDX :)

I have a 1997 KDX220R and bought a brake light switch from ProCycle: http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm

When I went to install it on the rear brake it doesn't fit right - the top of the screw (where the wires are coming out) is running into the bottom of the frame where the brake fluid reservoir bolts on - from reading here and also other places online it seems like everyone else's just works . . . What am I missing? :( http://screencast.com/t/NmFjOTI2NGYt

Also, I'll admit it . .. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I'm thinking it's something simple that I'm just overlooking?

Thanks in advance!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, on an old E series 200 the rear brake reservoir is located in a different area so, yes, it just "fits".

To use the hydraulic style switch you will need to either relocate the reservoir or master cylinder. Obviously, the reservoir is really the only choice.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Hi,

I have done this mod on my kdx and used the "drc" 90 degree hydraulic switch. Fits a dream and comes with a mini loom allowing wired to be routed really neatly. I hope this helps

Cheers!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
gertie6car wrote:Hi,

I have done this mod on my kdx and used the "drc" 90 degree hydraulic switch. Fits a dream and comes with a mini loom allowing wired to be routed really neatly. I hope this helps

Cheers!
Ah! An even better option! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
gertie6car wrote:Hi,

Cheers!
That's cool! I bought my bike plated with a straight hydraulic switch. First ride the resivior line got cut. I had to make a bracket to move the resivoir up. The 90 looks like the ticked.
KdxRiderX

Post by KdxRiderX »

Thanks for the replies!

When I did a search, I found the DRC website, is this what you are referring to? http://www.drcproducts.com/elect/d45-71/index.html

Thanks again all! Hopefully will have picts up soon of before and after :)
jth

Post by jth »

I got one from FRAP and also had to file and shim parts to get it to fit without rubbing anything (on a 2004 220). Three years later it stopped working, so i removed it. That "drc" 90 degree hydraulic switch looks like a better setup.
jth

Post by jth »

Sorry, i meant to say I got one from FRP not FRAP.
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Yes thats the one! Glad to have been able to help someone else for a change!

All the best
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Turn your reservoir around and bolt it to the guard, you will have to bolt or weld a mounting tab and make spacer but it works.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
KdxRiderX

Post by KdxRiderX »

Awesome, you all rock! I have a new one on the way to me (and my wheels came today, I've been waiting for over a month for them :)

It's great that I was able to give them a name for the part too (many thanks gertie6car) :) it made ordering and explaining what was wrong that much easier for me and ProCycle.

Thanks again all!