so he tells me the piston grenaded...

Got questions? We got answers....
heckler

so he tells me the piston grenaded...

Post by heckler »

I'm looking to buy a 1998 KDX220, and the current owner tells me the piston grenaded before he bought the bike, and the previous owner had the entire engine (top and bottom end) rebuilt because of it.

He doesn't have a receipt for the rebuild, because he's not the one that paid for it. He doesn't know what brand of piston was used, but it was a local engine shop that rebuilt it, not a kawi dealer.

What can I look for to protect myself when looking to buy this bike? He's going out riding this weekend, and i imagine the bike runs fine (which I'll check before I buy it).

I suppose pullling the engine apart is my only option to really know, eh?
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

If they replaced the cylinder or had it replated and it is still in good shape; you could always pull the jug and install a Wiseco piston, if you are not sure what they used. Many after market shops tend to use Wiseco anyway, maybe you could call up his shop and ask them what they used.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
heckler

Post by heckler »

I guess I'm more wondering what the risk is on a completely rebuilt engine. Steer clear, or is it the best kind of engine to buy?
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

It depends on who did the work and what was really done. I wouldn't buy it unless I personally spoke with the mechanic and found out exactly what was done...while you're talking to him, make sure he's not a moron!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It wouldn't bother me as long as the bike runs well and sounds good. I go through the engine before I start riding a used bike anyway. A used two stroke should get a new piston ASAP, because you never know what the PO did or didn't do. I would at least want to pull the head and make sure the jug hasn't been sleeved or something though. Pretty easy to tell from a quick visual.
heckler

Post by heckler »

you mean pull the head before buying it julien? Is that a reasonable thing to ask a seller to let you do?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

>|<>QBB<
heckler wrote:you mean pull the head before buying it julien? Is that a reasonable thing to ask a seller to let you do?
Not really. A new head gasket would be required, as well as coolant. A bunch of hand tools, and about an hour total.

I wouldn't bother trying to remove the head. Make an offer on what you think is fair for a bike that may or may not have a problem. If he doesn't accept, find another kdx.
'00 KDX 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You could pull the pipe to see if it was sleeved.... but if it runs good.... chances are it's fine. You could also run a compression check.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

Nothing to do with the rebuild, but always look in the air box to see how clean they have been keeping the bike and if it has a clean air filter.

Of course they could clean it up to sell it, but most times I find that the morons that never kept up with air filters don't bother to clean the air box and put a clean filter in to sell the bike either.

Before I bought our KDX I pulled the pipe to look at the piston, removed the seat and looked at the air box and filter, pulled the filter and checked the carb boot for grit, pulled up the fork boots and checked for knicked fork tubes and leaky seals, looked at the tranny oil through the site glass the best I could, etc....
I figure if the owner will not allow me to thoroughly check the bike over, then they must be hiding something and I therefore don't want the bike!

I actually found enough small things to talk the PO into selling me the bike for $1400 instead of the $1700 that he was asking! Of course I still dumped a grand into her to put her into nearly new condition before letting my son ride.
Last edited by Griffbones on 08:18 am Aug 26 2010, edited 1 time in total.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
heckler

Post by heckler »

excellent tips griffbones. thanks!
heckler

Post by heckler »

I decided against the grenaded/rebuilt 98, but am picking up a stock 05 220 on Saturday :supz:

yup, a wiseco piston is first on my list.

Does the engine have to come out of the frame to swap the piston?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nope...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
heckler

Post by heckler »

I guess it's time to pony up and buy that online manual. It covers everyting, including top and bottom end rebuilds, right?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Everything...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****