Clutch issues - A NEW 22/05/2011 update (see my last post)

Got questions? We got answers....
engybenjy

Post by engybenjy »

An update for youse guys.
Bought a new clutch pack set. Friction plates, steel plates and four new springs. pre soaked overnight in the recommended oil. In this case Silkolene Med Gear Oil cos thats what is recommended my the manuf. for this clutch pack.
Re-assembled AND no change - bugger!!!!!
HOWEVER, upon having a sit down and a think, it appeared that there was a serious lack of oil getting into the clutch pack. I then found the 4 small holes in the inner hub......... mmmmmmmmm ............
Much interwebs searching later, and a totally random conversation with a bloke who races 2stroke crossers and he agreed with me that there wasnt enough oil getting to the pack.
My conclusion was that there wasnt enough oil within the plate stack to form an oil wedge when the spring tension was removed. - i.e. when you pull the clutch lever.

My solution was simple as it goes. Drill more holes!
So today I drilled out the 4 original holes from 0.073" or 1.853mm to 2mm and marking up a pattern, drilled 20 more holes in the grooves of the inner hub.
After a bloody good clean up, burrs and swarf, it was all reassembled and 800ml of fresh oil. She started on the 3rd kick (been sat for 4 weeks whilst I been at sea) and lo and behold the clutch works PERFECTLY!!!!
Took her for a quick blat up the hill. Flat out 1st -> 2nd shift being vicious with it, trying to get it to slip and its PERFECT!!!! The real sod of it is the MOT runs out today, and I'm busy welding all day tomorrow, so once weve got that sorted I'll give her a right good thrashing and let you all know.

Hopefully this will help others out who have had the same problems!

ATB,
One Happy Teddybear :cool:
Gaffa Tape is like the Force. It has a Dark Side, A Light Side and it binds the universe together.
And nothing says bad workmanship like wrinkles in the kidnap tape!!!