New member, could use some advise

Got questions? We got answers....
jimjohnson

New member, could use some advise

Post by jimjohnson »

Hey all, last week i picked up a 01 KDX220 for $850, tho with everthing i bought that number has almost doubled lol.
Currently the bike has
FMF Woods pipe
FMF turbine core 2
New set of DP clutches
Boysen basket and reeds on order
K&N air filter (had to dremel the ribs in the airbox for it to seat properly)
airbox lid removed
New chain and sprokets 13/47
and according to a recept from the original owner the carb has been bored to 36mm (tho i have been waiting for the new reed basket to take apart the carb and see what needle and jets are in it)

The bike starts first kick and runs great on top end the problem im having and could use advise with the throttle response isnt there when you need it and it seems week on bottom end. I took it riding for about 4 hours yesterday and it seems that just when i need that low end grunt it peters out on me. any help or suggestion would be great and much appreciated.

a little about myself, i started riding when i was 3 on a yamaha PW50. the last bike i owned was a 96 KDX200 which i got rid of about 11 years ago for an ATV (yes i havent riden a dirt bike in over 10 years) Ive been getting the itch this past year for a bike and i figured what better then to go back to the bike i loved.

I will post a pic of my bike as soon as i can along with what is in the carb. Love the site and all the great info
thegary

Post by thegary »

Hi, and welcome. I have a 2005 kdx220. There is something wrong for sure. Some things to look for would be bad reeds but that shold be taken care of with the ones you ordered. The next thing would be, how long ago was the top end done. If you are ready for rings then you will be down on power. Before I got worried about the rings I would check the jetting in the carb and adjust it. There is a jetting thread on here that should get you close, the rest will take trial and error. Last of all unless you do nothing but deep woods riding I would trade your woods pipe for a desert pipe. When I got my 220 It hade the FMF woods pipe on it and the bike was flat on top end and the rest of the powerband was not great. I put an FMF desert pipe with a 35mm carb and the bike came alive from top to bottom. On a 220 the woods pipe is a marginal improvement over stock and some feel it is about the same as stock. Another posibility is that some one has mis adjusted your kips valve. There is a thread on here that shows how to adjust it. I would systematically do the above steps as time and or money allows. Your getting reeds, checking the kips should not cost anything but some time, then do a compression check, then the adjust the carb. Then see how you like the power before you decide on the pipe. While your at it you might want to check the timing too since it is a used bike and you do not know what has been messed with.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have to agree with "thegary", There has got to be some thing wrong. Put the new reeds in and check the compression. Spec is 95-150 Psi but don't quote me on that. As Inda will tell you "Its jetting". And he is right, he seems to have alot of experience with KDX's. When I bought my 200 the carb was pretty much plugged every where it could be and it started on the first kick and had plenty of top end, no bottom. Clean the carb and if your not sure about any of the jets just replace them, there cheap :partyman: enough. Good luck. Jetting can be painfully long but its worth it.