FMF Gnarly Pipe for E-Series? Also factory gearing?

Got questions? We got answers....
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

FMF Gnarly Pipe for E-Series? Also factory gearing?

Post by 92kdxRider »

Hey guys, semi-new here. Been browsing for a while, first time really posting. Picked up a 92 KDX 200 about a month ago in one piece and in running condition recently for $650. Plus $35 for EBC front pads and $60 bucks for an airbox assembly shipped from Ebay. I think i did alright on this purhcase. Absolutely love the bike, never owned a 2 stroke before and my last bike was a KLX300 with a 340 big bore kit.
I've got two questions.

1) I was just on FMF's website, noticed that the Gnarly pipe for the KDX is only listed as fitting the 1995 and up bikes. Will a pipe designed for a 95 work on an E-series KDX? If not, is the Fatty the best alternative?

2) Whats the factory gearing for these bikes? My bike currently has plenty of low end grunt, but the top end suffers considerably more than i expected. I can tell from reading the rear sprocket that its a 50 tooth, and the front as far as i can tell is either a 12 or 13, couldn't tell for sure at the time (bikes at a friends house thats helping me get it up to snuff, or i'd check right now). I also noticed that i go through the gears fairly quickly, which may have to do with the gearing, or jetting, or possibly the pipe thats on there now which is of unkown origin. I do know that it has an FMF Powercore Silencer.

If i know the factory gearing i'll have a base to start with and know where to go from there. Which will also tell me which pipe is best suited to the bike. I'm looking for a good all around power range, not neccesarily looking for all my power to be down low only. Pretty new to KDX's, and 2-strokes also. Any help and advice you guys could give me on these two issues would be greatly appreciated.

PS* I know jetting plays a huge part in how the bike runs and its overall performance, but unfortunately i know nothing about how to jet a bike and am unsure how the previous owner set the bike up. Just a heads up incase your first thoughts are my jet settings.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Look at getting a PC pipe... They are the best all around pipe for the E models. PC Platnium...

Stock sprockets should be a 47 on the rear and a 13 on the front. 50 is for grunt....

Pull the carb and remove the jets... tell us what they say.... then we can try to help you with the jetting....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Look at getting a PC pipe... They are the best all around pipe for the E models. PC Platnium...

Stock sprockets should be a 47 on the rear and a 13 on the front. 50 is for grunt....

Pull the carb and remove the jets... tell us what they say.... then we can try to help you with the jetting....
Thanx very much Inda for the prompt reply. I'll definitely check into the Pro Circuit pipe, thanx for the advice. Glad to know the factory gearing also, i'm assuming the 52 tooth rear sprocket is a lil overkill for my low end, causing my top end to suffer. I'll try the changing the gearing back to stock or something similar, do you recommend 13/50 as a good all around set up?

It seems to run okay as of right now other than the top end issue, when the time comes i'll pull the carb/jets and let you guys know whats up. But for right now i just want to get out there and ride before the season ends. I definitely have a big winter project on my hands for sure.

Another small little thing i just thought off. The bike is missing its factory kickstand. The OEM Kawi parts to replace it are over $100. Is there anything in the aftermarket thats cheaper and still gets the job done? Not having a kickstand has proved to be more of a PIA than i thought.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I run a 13/50 but I like the low end.... it still screams up top though... maybe not as fast as some people like to go but I bet I get close to 70mph... A 49 should cut the difference for you since the E motor has a little more bottom end in the motor than the H series.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

Okay Inda, 13/49 it is then. I think your reasoning definitely makes sense. And anywhere near 70mph is fast enough for me without a doubt. Any thoughts on my kick stand dilema? Thanx for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

eBay or post in the Wanted section on the site. Folks part out bikes making hybrids but those are mainly H series bikes. I am not sure if an H would fit a E series....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

I bought an aftermarket stand off ebay for $59 IIRC. Attaches to the frame not the swingarm and it's just the right height. I'll see if I can find the guys name.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm running a Fatty with stock silencer and 13/47 gearing. It has plenty of bottom end grunt for the tight singletrack (2nd and 3rd gear trails) and steep hill climbs I encounter.

If I was going to buy a new pipe I would probably get one of the DG pipes as they are made of a thicker metal and therefore more resistant to denting and maybe just a touch more quiet.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

>|<>QBB<
johnyblaze wrote:I bought an aftermarket stand off ebay for $59 IIRC. Attaches to the frame not the swingarm and it's just the right height. I'll see if I can find the guys name.
That sounds like a good deal and a good product. Thanx very much. Let me know if you can track down the info.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm running this pipe on my 89, and like it a lot as compared to the stock pipe...

http://dirtoverstock.com/detail.aspx?ID=188

Have an FMF in the garage I would like to try, for comparison. I've heard great stuff about the PC pipe for the E series KDX too though, as Inda said.

For gearing I was running 12/49. After some engine mods I went back to 13 up front to help keep the front wheel down, lol.
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

Thanx to everyone for the advice/recommendations. I think i'll try the 13/49 gearing first and go from there. I'm also pretty much sold on the Pro Circuit Platinum pipe that Inda recommended. Went on PC's website, that thing looks amazing and sounds like it'll really wake up my old KDX. Still interested in a new kickstand. Hopefully i can track one down for a decent price soon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nothing fits like a PC..... like a Glove!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****