Just some thing I have been wondering.

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Just some thing I have been wondering.

Post by rbates9 »

I was just wondering what the big draw to a KX / KDX hybrid is. I have read some about it, and is it just the weight or what? I can understand the fork swap due to the better performing KX forks but what about the rest of it? I'm not much of a "weight weenie" I don't mind a heaver bike. I don't mean to start any fights, but an just interested in what the rest of you think. Wouldn't mind hearing both sides.
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

i dont have a hybrid, but i think i know why people do the swap....... you take a good "trail" motor and put it in the better handling kx, and youve got the perfect bike! correct me if im wrong.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
kdxmaniac wrote:i dont have a hybrid, but i think i know why people do the swap....... you take a good "trail" motor and put it in the better handling kx, and youve got the perfect bike! correct me if im wrong.
Winner winner chicken dinner. I was finding the handling characteristics of the KDX were starting to hold me back. the KX is a little quicker handling chassis but the KDX200 motor is perfect in its power delivery.
Bouillion

Post by Bouillion »

>|QBB|QBB<[/url]
kdxmaniac wrote:i dont have a hybrid, but i think i know why people do the swap....... you take a good "trail" motor and put it in the better handling kx, and youve got the perfect bike! correct me if im wrong.
Winner winner chicken dinner. I was finding the handling characteristics of the KDX were starting to hold me back. the KX is a little quicker handling chassis but the KDX200 motor is perfect in its power delivery.[/quote]

We did it for better handling and it was worth it! So much more fun to ride! Plus the improved sex appeal makes for happier riders?

The weight difference to me, isn't a big deal.
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

since i got it right, do i win a hybrid? :grin:
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
gregp

Post by gregp »

What kind of weight difference are we talking here (stock KDX vs. KDX motor in a KX 125 frame)?
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

i suspect its not much.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Bouillion, Nice bike.
I can see both sides of the argument. Personally, I bought a KDX because it is a KDX. Having said that I am also considering the fork swap when budget allows. As far as the handling what "holds you back" about the KDX frame? If I were to do a hybrid I would do every thing I could to keep the KDX swing arm. Just my opinion, but it has a much simpler chain adjustment and a solid kick stand. I have rode MX bikes and wasn't that impressed with the handling, too twitchy for me. :partyman:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Has anyone put there Hybrid on a scale to see what the weight bonus was?
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Bouillion, Nice bike.
I can see both sides of the argument. Personally, I bought a KDX because it is a KDX. Having said that I am also considering the fork swap when budget allows. As far as the handling what "holds you back" about the KDX frame? If I were to do a hybrid I would do every thing I could to keep the KDX swing arm. Just my opinion, but it has a much simpler chain adjustment and a solid kick stand. I have rode MX bikes and wasn't that impressed with the handling, too twitchy for me. :partyman:
As I ride faster I find it more difficult to throw the bike around. Also, the riding position is a little too relaxed for me now. Don't get me wrong. I love the KDX and will miss some of the characteristics but I am looking for a more aggressive ride.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

As I ride faster I find it more difficult to throw the bike around. Also, the riding position is a little too relaxed for me now. Don't get me wrong. I love the KDX and will miss some of the characteristics but I am looking for a more aggressive ride.[/quote]

I can understand that, but for me i'm still lovin the lazy boy seating.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:I can understand that, but for me i'm still lovin the lazy boy seating.
>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:If I were to do a hybrid I would do every thing I could to keep the KDX swing arm. Just my opinion, but it has a much simpler chain adjustment and a solid kick stand. I have rode MX bikes and wasn't that impressed with the handling, too twitchy for me. :partyman:
Sounds like the KDX is the perfect bike for you.
thegary

Post by thegary »

I too like the KDX the way it is. I am too old to get much better on a dirt bike and the KDX works well for me. I even had a KX fork to go on it and I just sold it. I will put heavier springs in the fork and do the shim mod and the bike will be more capable than me. If I were 20 again maybe I would see the swap as an option but in comparison to my DRZ400 I am in heaven now with the KDX. The only thing I wish was that I could get a 4 gallon tank for it. The KDX is a play bike and that's what I do, I have not seen any bad characteristics from the handling and with the RB mods and a desert pipe the bike can pull me around better than I would have ever believed, even at 240lbs. I guess if I wanted a racer I would have got a KTM or a husky. I do understand wanting something not everyone has or can have but I think it is more that than actual improvement.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I did a hybrid because I really like the way the KDX motor delivers power but not the way the chassis handles "fast" riding in difficult terrain. I did the KX fork swap and had the shock revalved and worked on clicker settings until I think it was as good as I was going to get it.

The MX chassis is so much better at faster riding. It really does not compare to the KDX.

I've never liked the typical power output style of an MX motor.

What I really like is having a competent chassis with a motor that does not require much throttle control!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
thegary wrote: I guess if I wanted a racer I would have got a KTM or a husky. I do understand wanting something not everyone has or can have but I think it is more that than actual improvement.
If I had the $$$ to throw around I would have just bought a KTM but that was not an option for me. I was able to fund the build by selling parts from the roller and my KDX and end up with a bike that is comparable to a KTM200 XC-w. And yes I do like having something unique among the sea of orange at the local enduro races.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
thegary wrote:I do understand wanting something not everyone has or can have but I think it is more that than actual improvement.
What kind of KDX/KX hybrid have you ridden to come to that conclusion?

This is what makes the KDX so great. In stock form, it is good for most people. A swap fork makes it perfect for another group of riders. Then you can take the motor(s) and put them in an MX frame for a different group of riders. Not too many bikes you can do that with.

No doubt I did the hybrid for something unique. But I've had a KX 125 and YZ 125. Most of my riding is following my kids, and a 125 sucks for doing that.

Now with my hybrid, I have fun riding behind my kids b/c of the motor. When I'm not with the family, I usually go riding with a friend that has a YZ 125. In the woods I'm faster and it takes less effort. On the track I can hold my own. To me that makes for a really good combination.

The original question was why people go the hybrid route. Those reasons have been provided. There isn't a right or wrong and not everyone is looking for the same thing out of the bike they ride.
gregp

Post by gregp »

IMO, the biggest benefit to building a hybrid would be the ability to climb up over the front end much easier, as the KX offeres a much flatter seat that protrudes much further forward. The KX chassis would also provide better quality suspension components, even if they would have to be re-valved to perform as well off in off road or trail conditions. The shock shaft diameter will be larger, as will the valve and cylinder diameters. The front fork improvement is also obvious (USD vs. 43mm conventionals) but again, they will have to be re-valved to function properly on rocks and roots.
A concern I would have is if a KDX pipe would require modification to fit the KX chassis.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote: A concern I would have is if a KDX pipe would require modification to fit the KX chassis.
I can only speak to '03+ KX and '95 + KDX motor builds - if you use a Pro Circuit Plat 2 KDX pipe, it fits like it was meant to be on a KX frame. And if you use a KX 250 silencer/SA for the same year KX frame, it is all bolt on - no cutting, denting, etc.
THill

Post by THill »

Right now im riding both as im getting ready for my 2nd build. I've got a 02 220 with a redone cylinder im breaking in as im getting another 03 kx frame all grind down and ready to go.....
To me the low COG is a big difference in the two bikes plus the over 20 some pounds weight loss. Riding one then the other you can feel how the weight is so much lower in the KX frame,
Also the KX sits just a little lower than the KDX which is helpful to some people out on the trails..
If you do a search of KDX weight vs Hybird , 219 vs 248 was what i come up with awhile back / no fuel in bikes but all other fluids.....
Is one better than the other ?? really it just depends on what you want out of a bike and how you ride IMO...To me what we are doing to our bikes is what Kaw. should have done in the first place after the 97 model came out , stock ,USD forks and then a true woods weapon something along a Hybird.....
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

I was curious about the hybrids when I first joined the site and was looking for a KDX. I understand the attraction for some, but I got a KDX for it's compact chassis. I'm know the 125 weighs less and is easier to throw around, but it is physically a bigger bike, except weight and girth. The KDX is one inch shorter, and has like an inch and a half less wheel base. Not knocking the hybrids, they are cool, but to me the KDX's compact chassis and comfortable seat makes it a better trail bike for less aggressive riders. You kids be careful on them hybrids now!

I've seen several tests where the actual weight of a KDX is 236 wet, no fuel. And that's with an odometer, kickstand, lights, hand guards, revivoir, etc. Once you put all the trail stuff on a KX, or take it off the DX, the weight different shouldn't be huge.