Anybody using a high pressure (1.3,1.6) radiator cap?

Got questions? We got answers....
MontanaKDX
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Anybody using a high pressure (1.3,1.6) radiator cap?

Post by MontanaKDX »

Wondering if anyone has used or is using a high pressure radiator cap. If so, did it help with boil-over? Did it cause any problems ( seals, hoses, etc.)
I'm considering trying one due to my 220 boiling over at the most inconvenient times..
'97 KDX 220

RIDE ON!
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

We haven't put one on the KDX yet, but we did put a 1.6 on our KX103 stroker, and it did stop the coolant loss.

No ill effects were ever noticed in two years.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
hockeyboysomers

Post by hockeyboysomers »

I've had a 1.6 on my 220 for 3 years. No problems. Stopped boil over and coolant loss. The 1.6 cap came from a KX 500.
MontanaKDX
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MontanaKDX »

Thank you for the responses. I ordered a 1.6 cap. I will post the results.
'97 KDX 220

RIDE ON!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The original cap will get weak over time. This has solved lots of overheating problems.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I went with a 16lb cap on mine. If I lug it hard enough it will still boil over but not nearly as bad
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Part number?
'00 KDX 220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:Part number?

I'm sure YOU can find one at the junkyard or the dump
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:Part number?

I'm sure YOU can find one at the junkyard or the dump
:mrgreen: :supz: :butthead:
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Ok, be nice to the kid. I used a 1.6 cap from a KX 250 for a few years without any problems. I then switched back to stocker. What I found is that my original OEM was just worn out.

I have also tried a lot of different coolants. Engine ice works pretty good. Despite all of my efforts, I still had occassional overheating. Then I realized that some of my fins on radiator were bent pretty good so you might want to check that.

I think the ultimate coolant is Zip Ty - Evans Cooolant NPG R. Get it directly from Evans because its cheaper. Its a waterless coolant. I have used all summer without loosing a drop. The only concern is the added heat to your engine. Most water based coolants boil around 212 -220 degrees. Evans pukes around 350 degrees. I am a little concerned what the added heat might be doing to the engine so it will be interesting to see what the top end looks like this winter. I a really paranoid about the extra heat - using temperature stickers for what they are worth . . Even on a bad day of slow muddy hill climbs, my temps got no higher than 235 -240 degrees. So its controversial but I wanted you to be aware of other options.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Fact is... you should not be having an overheating problem that requires that high dollar coolant. I will not buy it period. I use Peak 50/50 and don't overheat at all.... If your system is right.... you shouldn't overheat except in rare occasions where you are really working the bike in a very nasty climate.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Fact is... you should not be having an overheating problem that requires that high dollar coolant. .
Easy to say when you live on a pancake
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Same results in the mountains of West Virginia.... no difference and I was flogging it pretty good....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****