A 2 part Question.

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

A 2 part Question.

Post by rbates9 »

Let me start out with what I have. 2000 Kdx 200 with some extras, pipe, silencer and just about every guard they make for it. Stock suspension front and back. I bought it used and am not 100% sure what the previous owner swaped on it as far as brands of chains and brakes ect. I tip the scale at around 220Lbs. give or take a few.

First, I ride mostly in a pretty hilly area, your either going up a hill or down a hill. I like to do both, but my issue is that I never learned to use the rear brakes, there just not for me. Just the front, and the front are giving up pretty easy (Fading, overheating.) Is there any pad that takes abuse better? I don't know what I have on right now but i'm thinking EBC but not sure. Is there any rotor upgrades? I had a 95 kdx 200 before and I never had any problems with the brakes with the same riding style, all front, no back. And at the time I was probably riding harder, faster, steeper trails.

Second is, I was reading about upgrading the front forks. how much "bang for the buck" is received out of 1.- KX fork swap or 2.- working with what I have. (I'm on a pretty low budget.) I haven't done any thing to the suspension yet. My concern is the collapse in the suspension at jumps and whoops. It rides like a cloud but lands like a brick.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

I don't know what to tell you about the brakes except maybe change the fluid and pads.

On the fork you can spend as much making them better as you can on swapping the front end to a KX fork and they will still not be as good IMHO...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I agree with Frank on both counts. For the brakes, flushing and replacing the fluid would be my first step. And learn to use the rear, too. A good grab on the front brake on a downhill switchback can have you on the ground right quick. For the forks, hold onto the money until you find a good deal on some KX forks. They pop up every so often.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've always had best performance out of the OEM pads. A fluid change would certainly be in order , if only to see how it helps.

On the fork you can spend as much making them better as you can on swapping the front end to a KX fork and they will still not be as good IMHO...

Yup. Springs and shim change and fresh fork oil all might help. KX forks and maybe a spring change in the back and it would be a whole different bike.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Thanks for the input. I will try the brake fluid change and a set of OEM pads. As far as the forks go, it will probably be better off doing the swap when budget allows. How much better would a 99 KX 250 fork set be? Also it is said that a KX 500 fork setup is a "direct fit" are the forks the same as the 125 , 250 and just the t-clamp different? I have been realy thinking about a SCOTT stablizer and they offer a "custom upper t-clamp" so would I just need to get the KX 500 upper and a lower clamp and any KX forks? Thanks again. :partyman:
There is a 99 KX 250 parts bike for sale localy, as far as I know it is complete.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Get the KX250 and swap the stem. Fork diameters different from year to year. You need the entire front end. Forks, triple clamps, wheel, axle and spacers from the same model or similar model. If you are willing to do a lot of research you can buy piecemeal but it is much easier if you can get an entire front end complete. The KX500 has the same stem and bearings as the KDX so it is a direct bolt on. the KX125 and 250 use a different stem and bearing so you must press the KX stem out of the KX triples and press the KDX stem into them. Then you bolt them onto the KDX.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

When you flush those brakes use dot 4 fluid
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

So, I put on a set of OEM KDX pads and it was much, much better. Also I had changed the brake fluid to DOT 4. So far so good.

As far as the forks go , I will probably end up with a set of KX forks before to long. Thanks for the input. :partyman: