Fuel mixing - who's right?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Check the octane rating.... The ones in East Peoria have the highest rating if you are in the Peoria area....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Check the octane rating.... The ones in East Peoria have the highest rating if you are in the Peoria area....
Peoria area ... yup!
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I bought 91 Octane last weekend up on Springfield Rd... was $3.09 a gallon. Not too bad...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I played with ratios and jetting with no real improvement with the spoo, I checked the link on the gas stations and they are all at least an hour from me. I have talked with fuel truck drivers and they say that ALL gas has ethanol in it. It is added as a catalyst to help with emissions requirements. And any station that claims to have ethanol free gas is just using a false marketing scam. All of the gas silos at the ports are filled from the same barges that come in to port. At least in New York. I how ever did find that after I started to put Stabil in the gas it did make a significant difference in the spoo, considerably cleaner. I am still using the same oil to gas mix as before 32:1 and also adding 1.5oz. of stabil to 3 gallons of gas. I put all of my jetting back to where it was in the beginning and checked the plug, ect and all seems to be well. A little fine tuning on the air screw but the temp and humidity has also gone down so I am leaning more towards the climate change than the fuel change.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

er.... truck drivers run diesel... and most truck drivers are so full of **** that I wouldn't trust 2 words they put together.

But... it is what it is....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

i think he is talking about the drivers that deliver the fuel to the stations........its against the law for stores to say they do not have ethonol in their gas if they do...... and some stores do have ethonol free gas, or at least around here.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Last edited by rbates9 on 03:18 pm Aug 18 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's not September yet. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

"We've been able to get enough via rail car to the Middlebury terminal to get us through maybe the middle of September and then after that it's done," said Keith White of the Champlain Oil Company.

Did you happen to notice the "maybe" part?

This was found in one google search, and about two minutes of reading. There is plenty more.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is that just in you state?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's a far cry from....

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote: I have talked with fuel truck drivers and they say that ALL gas has ethanol in it. It is added as a catalyst to help with emissions requirements. And any station that claims to have ethanol free gas is just using a false marketing scam. All of the gas silos at the ports are filled from the same barges that come in to port. At least in New York.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Did you happen to notice that it was a Vermont article. New York is following California emissions very closely. Also did you catch the part about the FEDERAL Govt mandating it (EPA).
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just like the EPA are being strict on industrial emissions? That happened right?..... :lol:

If there is enough of an outcry... they fold. Always happens. I am not saying this is the case for this.... but just because there are articles about this stuff doesn't mean it is going to happen for sure.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

True, but for me it has. The port that has gas come in is about 45 minutes from me and ALL of the companys add the ethanol before it leaves. Even at the gas stations in vermont that are close to me they all have the 10% sticker on the pumps. (probably getting there gas from the same port.) :sad:
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:I don't think your a fool, But how lean should you go? And why is it that just about every one on here is running 40-50/1 instead of the 32/1? If it is all just jetting then why dosn't every one just jet there bikes to the 32/1?
I run 40/1 due to the fact that it's just plain easy.
1qt interceptor = 2 - 5 gallon cans of premix.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol TW, that's exactly why I run 40:1. Makes it simple, and no left over oil. I use dominator or interceptor.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

gas+alcohol=ethonol
Ethanol is Ethyl Alcohol. Moonshine is nearly pure Ethyl Alcohol. Gasoline mixed with Ethyl Alky used to be commonly referred to as gasohol. With the advent of E85 (85% eth, 15% gas) most refer to these gasoline blends simply as E10.

You can find pure pump gas at marinas still as near the water the water-gathering capabilies of E10 combined with the use of plastic tanks in boats is a big problem. In a two cycle E10-based premix should be used quickly...especially if stored in a plastic jug. Worse if the jug in not full, but regardless the alky can pull moisture right through the plastic. The biggest problem of E10 in a 2-cycle is running with any presense of water in the 10% eth. The more of the 10% that turns to water will not only not burn (will vaporize/spoo), but as the eth content goes down so does the octane.

E10 may alter jetting a touch, but it's still at rated octane/burn rate. Wouldn't know because you need to rejet for the days conditions regardless....seems to stay right in the range straight 93 was. This is one thing I hate about the E10...They don't even make 93 octane gas any more. This **** is like 85-87 octane turned into 93 by the ethanol content, and is sucseptable to change like I sais above. Higher octane gas will run quite noticably RICHER depending on how high. IE C23 would run mind-blowing LEANER jet set to compensate.

In the race world 'alcohol' means Methanol/Methyl alcohol. 2-cycles love to run on pure meth, BTW. It takes a jetting change of nearly double the gasoline jet area. You can run 10% meth in gas too...Guess you'd call it M10...LOL. Suprised they didn't go this route as you can make meth out of anything...specifically a trash dump. All said precautions need to be taken with pure alky, and then some. An open bucket of pure eth/meth set out in a humid area will eventually turn to nearly pure water.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

All of this is exactly why I run 91 octane with out alcohol from the local BP station, and mix it with VP C12. The jetting is much more consistent and no spooge with good jetting. C12 does make a bike run a tad richer compared to straight pump gas, but I jet my bikes with this fuel, and once I'm happy with it I don't change.

Just my .02

BTW C12 can be stored for about two years, if kept in a tightly sealed metal can. I don't mean pre-mixed or cut with pump gas, I just mean the race gas itself can be stored that long.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)