Stock silencer vs aftermarket silencer ??

Got questions? We got answers....
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Stock silencer vs aftermarket silencer ??

Post by terrapinjam99 »

Was wondering what people thought about me just going back to my stock silencer ??? ( I am currently running a Gnarly Woods pipe )
After another labor intensive re-pack of my Dynoport silencer I was thinking about just putting my stock silencer back on. Will that change the performance at all. ( I know it will sound different ) The bike currently runs great and is jetted perfect for the Woods pipe. Is it correct that the stock silencer has no packing?? Thanks for any and all input.
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Performance will be the same... It's a smart choice to use the stocker...

No packing... solid performance. :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jonooffler

Post by Jonooffler »

The stock one is good I ran a DEP pipe for a short time no change is the sound out put but it was lighter and way better looking.
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Hey, if it works better for you, put it on there! I don't think anyone is going to hold running a stock silencer against you. I've never heard anyone make any verifiable claims of power gain/loss from a certain type/brand of silencer. Pipe yes, silencer no. I like my PCII because it weighs less, looks and sounds better than the stocker. But I still swap the stocker back on if I'm going to ride somewhere that checks for a spark arrestor, not a problem.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

dirt bike mag did a shootout years ago kdx200 vs ktm200, and ran tests on the silencer/pipe combos offered for the kdx. No aftermarket silencer bested the stocker, performance-wise. I like the stocker because it is durable vs aluminum and no repacking.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by terrapinjam99 »

Thanks for the input all. I think I am just going back to the stocker silencer ! Is there any long term maintenance to do with the stocker ? ( Other than just removing the drain screw once in a while ) Thanks again.
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nope...that's it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

For what it's worth... My stock silencer may have been plugged with carbon - almost certainly was - but when I temporarily swapped it back on in place of a Pro Circuit Factory Sound, I had bad detonation problems. Only rode it for a few minutes that way, then took it off and never thought about it again. This was all after the big bore, etc.
Keep It Simple Stupid