Should I?

Got questions? We got answers....
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Should I?

Post by quailchaser »

I love my KDX in the tight stuff and will do some more mods to make it more open terrain friendly. Sand and wide open stuff are not tons of fun on the KDX. Especially with the mountain goat gearing. Plus, I'd like to do some old folks MX stuff. The KDX is definately staying in the stable. I think I would like to add a second bike that would fill the gaps the KDX was not designed for.

Anyone have some good reasons not to add a KX500 to my garage?

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Body damage! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Indawoods wrote:Body damage! :shock:
Ya, that one always seems to come up first for some reason. :rolleyes:
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cuckoo, Cuckoo !!!

I rode a 02CR500 and holy sh!t, I needed physio on my shoulder joints after a five minute ride. If you have good insurance cover I don't see why not. If you could get a ride on one first it would be recommended. They might be OK in the W_I_D_E O_P_E_N stuff but they are a handful and a half to say the least on the trails, for me anyway.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

try a kx250 its plenty fast and hurts less than the 500
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I've ridden a few different configurations of KX250. If I didn't love my KDX so much, the KX250 would be my ST weapon of choice :wink: . Very flickable and tons of overrev with good bottom end and fantastic suspension. All the Kawi's turn awsome. If I had the income....KDX200, KX250, KX500 and I would probably have a Husky WR250 as well.

I've ridden a CR500AF, CR500 and a KX500 on Jeep roads, sand and rolling flowing single track. All I can say is that I had a huge grin :mrgreen: after each ride. I had a hard time giving the bikes back. :shock: I haven't had a chance to put any of the big bores through any of the tight nasty stuff. Although, I don't really plan on running a big bore in that type of terrain.

The big thing is throttle control. I don't think I ever went past 1/4 throttle on the tighter stuff and rarely more than 1/2 on the more open stuff. The biggest thing is that I need to carry a block of wood so that I can start those darn things. Seems like they put the kicker way forward to discourage us height challenged people from purchasing them. That's an easy fix with some suspension work.

You guys aren't doing a good job of talking me out of this! :grin: I am afraid I may be addicted to this dirt bike thing. :lol: Is it time for an intervention yet? :?
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Hey you live in the desert, thats the best spot to ride a WFO 500-hunny! Big ole tire and a huge plume of sand, dirt and rocks! :mrgreen: Go for it! :supz:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You need a number of bikes to choose from.

You gotta have something to ride when I take your KDX for a spin...next time I'm down Azirona way.

You really don't have a choice, do you?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

5hunit's seem fairly popular out there. The downside I see to a KX500 is the fact that they haven't changed since '88 or something like that. Some people consider the big bores very trail friendly. Note: SOME. As you mentioned, throttle control is key. The big bore fanatics seem to always say 'just put her in third, and let your right hand do the rest.'

On another note, I'm a HUGE fan of bikes w/ a wide trans. KX/CR's do not have this feature, but I guess the 500's have the torque to pull pretty much any gear.

As far as starting, I've seen an inexpensive compression release that you can get installed in the head.

Sooooo....In short may I recommend the CR500 for ergo sake, or maybe a 380EXC? Also, ATK makes big bores w/ wide transmissions, and come w/ TOP NOTCH susp components...

IMO, and all that.....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My riding buddy has a tricked out KX500; Eric Gorr mods, reeds, carb, flywheel weight, etc. Now that I have improved my riding skills, I can keep up with him in the tight stuff, but if the trail opens up even just a bit, he's gone!!!

Anyway, he had a KDX before the KX500 and I've ridden the 500 several times. It is longer so harder to turn in tight stuff like switchbacks, but much more stable in fast stuff. It vibrates, and I must say this again; it vibrates. I can't stand to be on the thing for more than 20 minutes with out a break. He doesn't seem to notice though, so you might not either. It is not easy to start. 500cc's is tough to get kicked over when you are fresh. Get tired and you will be crying. The bike won't idle worth crap. Doug (the guy who owns the KX500) just changed the carb out to an older mikuni round slide. We took 3 trips to get it jetted right but now it idles as good as the KDX does. You can be very lazy riding this bike. With at least 65 hp, leave it in 3rd gear and use the clutch if you think you need to. 3rd will take you from crawl to 70mph. WOWWWW!!!!!! It's about the same weight as a KDX so that's great. It uses more fuel so an aftermarket tank is needed for any ride over 40 miles. There's about a zillion of them out there, so parts should be easy to find and a used one (they don't make 'em anymore so it will have to be used if you buy one) should be cheap.

All in all, Doug loves his KX500 and if it wasn't for the kick start effort, I'd get one since they are bomb proof. There's no way you are going to wear out that motor.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

I ride quite often with a friend that has a 98 KX 500. It has a flywheel weight, pipe and silencer, steering stabilizer, bigger rear sprocket, 4 gallon desert tank. We have been on single track, jeep roads, sand, rocks, the works. My KDX is much more nimble than the 500, but in the spots where my KDX needs some finess to make a steep hill or something on that order the KX 500 just plows through with brute force.
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

fuzzy wrote: The downside I see to a KX500 is the fact that they haven't changed since '88 or something like that.
Kinda sounds like another familiar 2 smoke bike Kawa makes don't it?

I've ridden a CR500 some and loved it!
Gobbs of power, never have to shift, wheelies galore...

Downside it was a biatch to start! :evil:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

The KX500 is the right tool for a particular job. I love tools. I love bikes. Bikes are my favorite tools. Every garage should have a good supply of tools. OK I'm done. :rolleyes:
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders
Vermont Motocross Association

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."
cmot

Post by cmot »

I use to ride in the Ca. desert out by Palmdale and a smallbore is noooo fun in flat out open cactus dodging. You need two bikes. :grin:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

canyncarvr wrote:You need a number of bikes to choose from.

You gotta have something to ride when I take your KDX for a spin...next time I'm down Azirona way.

You really don't have a choice, do you?
You guys are killing me. :grin: I asked a simple question about specific good reasons to NOT get a KX500. :wink: Only Inda offered one--"Pain"--That's a pretty good one, but not good enough to keep me from buying one.

Looks like CC and others are right...I don't seem to have much choice now that I asked. :razz: Especially if CC is going to come jet my KDX the next time he's down here in AZ. :cool: Did I say jet...I meant ride. :partyman:

Later
Robb
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Put together an Arizona ride and not only will I invite myself, I'll transport CC from my area (he has to go right by my place to get there) so he doesn't have too far to drive, AND I'll bring along my buddy and his KX500 so you can see how one should perform once set up right. The KX has an auto clutch for you to tryout and the worlds coolest looking kickstand he just stuck on the thing. (As well as just about every other trick option you can think of)

So how's about it??? :partyman: Rode trip to Arizona sometime Robb?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

skipro3 wrote:Put together an Arizona ride and not only will I invite myself, I'll transport CC from my area (he has to go right by my place to get there) so he doesn't have too far to drive, AND I'll bring along my buddy and his KX500 so you can see how one should perform once set up right. The KX has an auto clutch for you to tryout and the worlds coolest looking kickstand he just stuck on the thing. (As well as just about every other trick option you can think of)

So how's about it??? :partyman: Rode trip to Arizona sometime Robb?
Love to have you guys come on out. :partyman: Wish I could offer accommodations, but we are tapped out for space. :oops: If you come...it would be better riding conditions around the time the rest of the Country is packing up thier bikes for Winter. :mrgreen: It's a tad hot this time of year. Summer time a 100 oz camelback gets you through about a 30 mile loop so long as your finished riding by 9 am. :shock:

Doesn't take much to put together a ride here in AZ. My pace and ridnig skills are around C- with an occational B section thrown in for fun. If anyone wants to run B to A stuff at a like pace...I can also get that covered. I'll see you after that ride is over. :grin:

Anytime you guys want to come on out...we'll set up a ride or two. I'm pretty familiar with the West side. There is some cool stuff on the East side as well. I'm weak on trail knowledge in the East Valley. Not that I'm volunteering dave04kdx :wink: ...but...I think he has some familiarity with those trails.

Later
Robb
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Most folks won't try the B or A type riding by themselves and that's smart. Look again at my gallery and see how we are all off our bikes, lifting Wibby's machine around an obstical. If you get us down there, we all would work together to get through any sections that are too harsh for any single rider.

I'll be waiting to hear from you when the weather changes for a group ride down yor way. My son's mother-in-law lives in the Phenox/Scottsdale area so if you are near that, I have a place to stay. Or else camping? Even better!
Jerry