Front brake pad retention bolts

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Front brake pad retention bolts

Post by turtle »

I searched and came up empty, so now I'm looking for some help. I cannot get the brake pad bolt on my front caliper loose. Actually, looking at the online fiche, it looks like there is a plug and then a bolt behind it. I am struggling with the plug right now.

I have not seriously damaged the slot yet, but I did manage to take a little of one edge off. I just love using a straight screwdriver to apply torque :evil: .

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this plug out (and then the bolt)? Right now it's soaking in PB blaster. Can I use heat or is that a bad idea on a caliper?

Thanks.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The plug is just plastic, I believe. It is there to keep dirt out of the hole the pin goes in.

Get it loose, somehow. They are usually not the problem. Tap it around with a dull chisel?

The bolt can be a bit of a problem. It is allen cap. I'd make sure there is nothing in there so the allen wrench can seat in all the way and use a good allen wrench, not a cheap one from a fold up set. A short cheater bar on the allen wrench may be in order. A little heat from a propane torch won't hurt anything; calipers can get pretty darn hot in normal use.

I put a little antisieze on the pins when I put them back in. I also don't crank them in real hard, they don't need to be super tight in there.

By the way, aren't there two on the front? As I recall, you only need to get the upper one out to change pads. I might be thinking of the rear.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Thanks for the response KarlP. Good suggestions - definitely helpful.

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:The plug is just plastic, I believe. It is there to keep dirt out of the hole the pin goes in.

[snip]

By the way, aren't there two on the front? As I recall, you only need to get the upper one out to change pads. I might be thinking of the rear.
Hmmm ... the plug on mine is definitely metal. I think I will remove the caliper from the bike and try some heat ...

I looked at the fiche again. Based on that and what I saw on my bike, the front has one and the rear looks like it has two.

Any other ideas are welcome of course!
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

No problem.

I don't think I'd remove the caliper. The forks hold it pretty well to work on it.
If you remove it you'll get into the whole "bleeding of brakes" issue, not just changing pads............
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

I used an impact driver and got it free. No heat needed and no big hits. It just needed a little shock. The socket head screw beneath was no problem.

Anti sieze and a light touch should make it better for next time.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

You are good to go!
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy