Did anyone see the KDX make over in Dirt Rider?

Got questions? We got answers....
SteveWR450f

Did anyone see the KDX make over in Dirt Rider?

Post by SteveWR450f »

Last night I was excited to get new issue of Dirt Rider in mail box. They made over 5 readers bikes and one was a 2005 KDX. I dont remember all the details but basically they blew around $1700 to upgrade the bike.

They sent the stock forks out to Race Tech and got it resprung with gold valves as well as putting in new Vforce reeds. The rest was cosmetic.

What blew me away was for that money they could have done KX fork swap plus all the great stuff that Ron Black does.

I was happy to read the write up about our beloved bikes. Like to see the KDX in print because it help keeps it relevant and hopefully, more companies making parts for it. It bothered me a little to waste that much money when they likely could have spent around a grand or less and got a better bike. Just venting but please folks - tell your friends, whoever, and get the word out about Ron Blacks work. He even makes the fork swap easy by selling the machined tspacer for $25.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They should have done a little bit of investigative work... Like... ask on this forum. :roll:

All those magazines are in their own world and this proves it.... Just think of all the little mods that cost next to nothing that we could have had them do... blows my mind...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Inda, come on! We all know that nothing makes a bike go faster than BNG's.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

I read it and thought the same thing. Had I been the owner of the bike I would have been sorely disappointed.
Duke

Post by Duke »

I would have to in part disagree here. Yes, they are perhaps more cost effective ways to rejuvenate a KDX, but you have to remember that these magazines survive largely by promoting their sponsors products. I don't think Ron Black pays for big ads like Race Tech, et al. And for Dirt Rider to select the owner of a KDX does indicate that the magazine recognizes the marque as a popular bike that satisfies the needs of their readers. I think one needs to be objective and see what of all the repairs included would apply to their needs and desires. It keeps alive the notion that you don't need to spend money on a new bike, but can rely on what you have; simply smooth out the rough edges. Equally relevant is the comments that exist between the lines. Editor Karel Kramer noted that one of the test riders pushed the project bike on a MX track to a pace that exceeded his comfort level. That same test rider stated that he was able to clear all the jumps at Milestone Vet track with ease. Proof that the KDX if dressed right, is really a versatile machine.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Duke wrote:I would have to in part disagree here. Yes, they are perhaps more cost effective ways to rejuvenate a KDX, but you have to remember that these magazines survive largely by promoting their sponsors products. I don't think Ron Black pays for big ads like Race Tech, et al. And for Dirt Rider to select the owner of a KDX does indicate that the magazine recognizes the marque as a popular bike that satisfies the needs of their readers. I think one needs to be objective and see what of all the repairs included would apply to their needs and desires. It keeps alive the notion that you don't need to spend money on a new bike, but can rely on what you have; simply smooth out the rough edges. Equally relevant is the comments that exist between the lines. Editor Karel Kramer noted that one of the test riders pushed the project bike on a MX track to a pace that exceeded his comfort level. That same test rider stated that he was able to clear all the jumps at Milestone Vet track with ease. Proof that the KDX if dressed right, is really a versatile machine.
While I agree with what you are saying as the reasoning for the mods performed I think spending 1700 on the mods performed would fall very short of the expected return.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have to say that this is one sad society when you have to be a paying supporter to have mention in a magizine article designed to help those riders of that bike. Think of it this way... Ron is not in competition with any of their sponsors.... so what the hell is it going to hurt to giving REAL insight to unlocking the bikes potential? I think people would say for once... "Wow... they aren't all about money afterall.... And... they gave me some useful information without getting paid for it!"

Just my .02...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

I did read that. I got my first magazine on a new subscription, I haven't bought an dirtbike mag in over ten years, I'm remembering why now...
Here's a few things I thought stood out as fails; $808.30 on suspension upgrades and no KX fork upgrade. Spent $88.95 on a front fender from Kawi? $145.00 for Z-Ring chain, $119.95 for steel rear sprocket?
The rest wasn't unreasonable exept what was overlooked as mentioned. I thought the YZ250 Jimmy Lewis did was the only example that was worth following.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Wow, I would have spent the $1700 a lot differently than they did.

Hmm, that gives me an idea! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Duke

Post by Duke »

To be sure, there is room for improvement on Dirt Rider's (DB) part. But its a start. I buy the magazine maybe twice a year, so I am anything but a promoter of the perdiodical. Trail Rider once followed this route of taking older bikes and freshening them up. As for DB not relying on the postings contained here within, to do so would be tantamount to siding with the enemy as the internet is very much the enemy of monthly hard copy periodicals.
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Hey, Inda, I co-own a company that makes hot rod parts for classic musclecars, and I know from personal experience that if you don't advertise in a given magazine, your parts will never be mentioned in it, no matter how good or cost effective they are. It's the same whether you're talking dirt bikes or performance cars.

Coversely, you can make parts that are truly over priced crap, but if you spend the ad dollars, the magazine will sing your praises to the moon.

It's frustrating for small manufacturers that can't afford to spend much on advertising; you could build a product that cost 10 bucks, doubles the power of the KDX, cures cancer, and makes supermodels throw themselves at you, but if you don't advertise in the magazines, it will never, ever, be mentioned there.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I think one big problem here is the hang up on the money spent. This money is more than likely not really spent. The prices given are MSRP. The products are used because they are given to the magazine for free. It does seem sometimes that if you advertise you get to play, but I think you have to do offer free product and services to get in the door.

That being said I am sure Mr. Black would have been willing to work his magic for free to have it in the magazine for free, IF, he were asked, and IF, he wanted to play.

Jimmy Lewis did say that the person doing this bike could have been a little more old school in the mods. He even specifically mentioned carb boring.

When it comes to the bike rags out there you have to pick through and take everything for what its worth, and sometimes thats not much.

They did however give a couple pages to a bike that has not been produced in 5 years and wasn't updated for over ten years. Thats a pretty good compliment in itself. :supz:
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days