Street Legal Where?

Got questions? We got answers....
realbtl

Street Legal Where?

Post by realbtl »

I've been curious about this so anybody with experience please chime in.

Since Montana is pretty loose regarding licensing, my 02 KDX 200 now has a street plate. What would happen if I went camping in California and took it along? I'd make sure it has everything required here but I've heard 2 strokes are not welcomed in CA.

I'm probably too old to be thinking like this but I'd really like to go back to CA and spread some blue smoke around the desert. Thanks
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I would think you would be fine to ride there but not if you moved there. I'm not positive on that but logic would seem to say it would be OK. CA recognizes a drivers license from other states as well as registrations so why not yours?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

I lived in Ca., and dual sported a few dirt bikes there when it was legal. I live in Nv. now and have my KDX plated in AZ., long story.

Anyway, I just rode in Ca. a couple of weeks ago and the answer to your question depends on what equipment you have on your bike and where you intend to ride. Law enforcement there can be pretty rigid. Just because you have a plate issued from your state, don't expect a CHP officer or park ranger to have a passive attitude. It ain't Moab.

You could probably get away with minimal street stuff if you stick to off roading or rural street riding. I wouldn't recommend street riding if you don't have a mirror, turn signals and a brake light.

My bike is basically legal with a BD kit, but has non DOT tires. At Lake Arrowhead and Oak Hills the rangers didn't give me a second look, but threatened my friend who lives there because he was on a "red sticker" YZ450 "out of season". :roll:

If all you have is a headlight and tail light, I would get a non-resident off highway sticker ($30) for off roading and avoid the highway.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669
realbtl

Post by realbtl »

bc- I plan on having DOT trials tires, mirror, brake light etc. I don't believe signals are required. I'm a CA native and while it seems logical that I should be ok with my out-of-state KDX, I've found CA to be anything but logical when it comes to off-road bikes, especially 2 strokes (one of the reasons I now live in MT).
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

ISn't anything 2002 and earlier green sticker?
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:ISn't anything 2002 and earlier green sticker?
A green (and red) sticker is an off highway registration required for residents. If you are from out of state, you need the $30 permit for off road, unless your bike is street legal.

I didn't ride my KDX on the highway there, and I think you're right, two strokes will get an officer's attention pretty quick. Last time I converted a bike there in '95, turn signals were required. You don't need them, or a running headlight on pre-'73 models if memory servs. I could be wrong.

Sounds like the bike in question would pass muster off road, but on the highway who knows. The original owner of my KDX said he got pulled over the few times he rode it on the streets of Vegas. Showed them the paperwork and they were still skeptical. :rolleyes: