Top End Rebuild Time.

Got questions? We got answers....
MaD_SheF

Top End Rebuild Time.

Post by MaD_SheF »

Hey guys. Well, its time to rebuild the top end. My 220 is an 02, and I got it used.. So I dont know if its ever been done, but sure feels like it needs it. Well I have never done a rebuild by myself before, so is there any tips or tricks I should know before I start?

Thanks guys!
"I didnt quit riding becuase I got old, I got old becuase I quit riding." Best quote I have ever heard haha.
kdxinmt

Post by kdxinmt »

I was going to post the exact same thing but for my 1998 kdx 220. Maybe we can kill two birds with one stone here.

Any help people can offer is much appreciated!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... support the KIPS actuating shaft with a 8mm wrench (There is a notch to do this if you pull the boot way down) when you take the LEFT HAND THREADED nut off. So... It's RIGHTY LOOSEY!

Use a Scotch-Brite pad to break the glaze on the cylinder... just go around and around.

Make sure that you seat the Circlips solidly in a 6 or 12 O clock position.

If I think of any more, I will post them.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Don't replace with OEM piston.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
MaD_SheF

Post by MaD_SheF »

Thanks Inda!

And Wiseco all the way. :]

Thanks guys.
"I didnt quit riding becuase I got old, I got old becuase I quit riding." Best quote I have ever heard haha.
kdxinmt

Post by kdxinmt »

I see Wiseco is recommended. Is there any other parts or part kits for a top-end rebuild you guys can recommend?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You can buy the top end kit from wiseco, which will come with all the gaskets and pieces you need. If you buy just the piston kit, you will need to get a top end gasket kit, moose, cometic, or athena, and the wrist pin bearing as well.
MaD_SheF

Post by MaD_SheF »

Oh cool. So best bet is to just buy a rebuild kit. Thanks for the replys guys.
kdxinmt

Post by kdxinmt »

Thanks!
woodchucker
Supporting Member

Post by woodchucker »

Hi, Just did my '02 220 and Juliend had an excellent tip on checking circlip seating. Find a socket slightly smaller than the diameter of the circlip, but large enough to contact the wrist pin, push it firmly against the wrist pin to make sure the circlip is fully seated.

That little trick sure saved me some sleepless nights worrying about the darn things!

Also be sure the arrow on top of the piston points toward the exhaust port.

When reassembling the KIPS shaft, the dot on the gear in the head must align with the dot on the tab on top of the KIPS shaft.

I loaded the new parts with 2 stroke oil when assembling them to ensure good lubrication upon startup.

Best of luck with your rebuild!
Deer are elusive. They know they're a delicacy.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

I've never put a top end on my bike. Bought it used with a Wiseco in it already. I know it';s in my future one day tho. I get a little nervous about the "support arm, left hand thread stuff. There will be a day when I say "will someone please post some pics" :) I think my compression right now is around 130....so I guess I 'll just keep riding it.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged