need some pointers

Got questions? We got answers....
GreatWhiteHunter

need some pointers

Post by GreatWhiteHunter »

I have a couple q's that I'm sure have already been answered but I can't seem to find the right thread. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

I'm a little big & tall for the KDX and need to stiffen and raise the handlebars. I'm currently using Rox 2" risers in the stock clamps and that is a VERY poor solution. It's high enough but just about every time I hit the ground (and that's quite a bit actually) the bars end up tweaked. The stock clamps are impossible to line up correctly with these risers and any weird torque angles has these things out of whack in no time.

What I think I need to do is stiffen/remove the rubber bushings in the upper triple clamp and put on a fixed riser for my bars. I'm thinking an upper triple clamp swap would do the trick, I just don't know what will fit.

Thanks in advance!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Solid cones help... remove the rubber ones and install the solid aluminum cones. Your on the right track... Check Scotts site and see what they have to offer....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i used to have a similar problem on my 220...like you i too am tall so i fitted higher bars & also rotated the bar mount 180 degrees which moved them forward slightly & also raised then a tad..but when you drop the motorcycle the bar clamps would shift thus making them out of true...what i did was make up a alumimimum brace & mount this to the top of the bar clamp bolting it down useing the 4 bolts for the bars...its a cheap solution & seems to cure the bars from twisting in the event of a spill & you can still benifit from having the damping from the rubber mounts too!. :grin:
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

soild cone better or the OEM rubber cone? anyone got any idea?
A true KDX customizer!!
gregp

Post by gregp »

Similar to Cornish, I made an aluminum plate that bolts right on top of my bar clamps, using all 4 bolts. It helps a lot, but I would still like to get solid cones. Does anybody know where to buy solid cones?
Maybe I will have to make my own....
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
GreatWhiteHunter

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Solid cones help... remove the rubber ones and install the solid aluminum cones. Your on the right track... Check Scotts site and see what they have to offer....
I had no idea there was a replacement for the rubber to make them solid I was only hoping. That's good news.

Since I'm a n00b, can you tell me who Scott is and how I would find his site?

Thanks in advance!
heckler

Post by heckler »

David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

thanks david l6...those look nice. I may have to try some.
GreatWhiteHunter

Thanks guys, purchased some hardware from BRP this afternoon. Should work nicely.

Found out something interesting in talking to both Scott's and BRP. That is that BRP does the machine work on Scott's triple clamps.