Latest upgrade

Got questions? We got answers....
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Latest upgrade

Post by frankenschwinn »

I could not resist the price on the Vforce Delta 2 Reeds/cage posted in the hot deals section.

I purchased about 10 days ago and received on Thurs of last week and promptly installed them.
They really seemed to make a difference in throttle response. I have a tendancy to be in a gear high and let the bike idle down in the rpms through a corner and Coming out of a corner my bike would take a little bit to rev into the power band again. I took the bike to a local track to test and found a much quicker rev/acceleration coming out of turns. Keep in mind that this was with stock jetting.

I also purchased an assortment of jets from Jet-r-us and received those on Sat. While at the track I changed from stock jetting: 160 main 48 pilot

to a 155 main and a 45 pilot. That also seemed to help the power throughout the entire rpm range.

I have been riding this bike for 8 months and have put it through lots of different typs of riding. When I first got the bike I could see no real reason to mod anything. That changed quickly...

Bought bike bone stock in Dec.
Feb upgraded forks to 97 KX125 and added pipe.
march removed air box lid.
July Vforce reeds and jetting.

I think my next mod will be a RB modded carb (airstryker I believe)
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

The first time I tried riding our KDX 200, I couldn't believe how crappy it ran. I immediately tried another new spark plug, leaned the pilot to a 45 and the needle down to the second clip. And since that time I have done extensive work and testing on the jetting, I have tried the stock (3rd) clip position several times, but our bike just runs horrible with the needle in the 3rd clip position.

This makes me wonder two things:
1. How did the previous owner of this bike and owners of other bikes ride their bikes like that for years?
2. Is there something else going on that allows others to use the 3rd clip position and stock jetting? Even though stock jetting is far from optimal, a lot of people do get by with it. So do I have something else going on with our bike, cause it just runs so crappy unless I lean the bike out.

Seems to be running nice and clean with this set-up
45 pilot, 152 main, stock needle 2nd clip, air screw two turns out.
But put the needle in the 3rd clip and it is gawd awful rich.

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread. :oops:

I keep reading threads like this and it makes me think about spending just a little more money and trying some more mods on this bike! :rolleyes:
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
gregp

Post by gregp »

I am glad that someone else recognized that price as a great deal!
In stock form the KDX is a nice trail bike. Some of its best attributes are the plush suspension, the user friendly power, and the fact that it is very quiet. I like to keep my bikes as quiet as possible, but I also want to get the performance I need out of them.
Once you remove the air box lid, and put a pipe on the KDX, the noise level increases significantly, but they are still quieter than most MX bikes, and easily more quiet than any of the competition oriented four strokes.
The V-Force reed cage is one of the mods that does not increase the noise level at all, but gives you a boost you can feel.
I will eventually get a pipe, but for now, I leave the air box cover on, and ride around in the mid-range that the V-Force beefed up.
I guess that is the best thing about our bikes - They can be anything you want them to be.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Griffbones wrote:The first time I tried riding our KDX 200, I couldn't believe how crappy it ran. I immediately tried another new spark plug, leaned the pilot to a 45 and the needle down to the second clip. And since that time I have done extensive work and testing on the jetting, I have tried the stock (3rd) clip position several times, but our bike just runs horrible with the needle in the 3rd clip position.

This makes me wonder two things:
1. How did the previous owner of this bike and owners of other bikes ride their bikes like that for years?
2. Is there something else going on that allows others to use the 3rd clip position and stock jetting? Even though stock jetting is far from optimal, a lot of people do get by with it. So do I have something else going on with our bike, cause it just runs so crappy unless I lean the bike out.

Seems to be running nice and clean with this set-up
45 pilot, 152 main, stock needle 2nd clip, air screw two turns out.
But put the needle in the 3rd clip and it is gawd awful rich.

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread. :oops:

BTW my first mod was to move the needle to the 2nd clip (from the top).

I keep reading threads like this and it makes me think about spending just a little more money and trying some more mods on this bike! :rolleyes:
Where are you located? What is your Elev.? What pipe are you running? Airbox lid status?

I know from your previous threads that you come from bikes with a more MX style of tune. If that is what I was looking for I would have been sorely disapointed.

My last bike was 20 yrs ago and it was a XR400. That was the power delivery I was looking to imitate. This bike exceeds the XR400 in all areas though. I needed a bike that was de-tuned when I started back on the dirtbike. This was the perfect bike for me to get back into it. I have been able to increase performance as my skills came back online.
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

Actually none of our bikes are MX tuned. And the only actual MX bike was my son's KX, and we turned it into a woods bike with suspension mods, flywheel weight and a motor built by Eric Gorr for the woods.

I just don't understand how people can ride these things with stock jetting, at least our bike was horrible with stock jetting, maybe they aren't all quite that bad?
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Stock is a detuned beginner friendly trail bike. I have never tried to make it out to be anything else....

What I like about them is that they are cheap, plentiful and as reliable as anything else out there. They are a sleeper bike that responds well to proven mods that are mostly really cheap. Depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend on unnessesary bling.

I'm a utilitarian... Is that too political? :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: What I like about them is that they are cheap, plentiful and as reliable as anything else out there. They are a sleeper bike that responds well to proven mods that are mostly really cheap. Depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend on unnessesary bling.
Exactly what brought me to this bike. I wonder what effects elev. has on this bike. with stock jetting my bike did not perform much different from my buddies KTM200 XC-w. Just was not as snappy.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

With a fresh engine, and a couple mods, I have no trouble spanking up on my buddies 200 EXC. His is snappier on top, like a 125 on steroids almost, but mine is so much smoother and more controllable, and I have 6 gears :). Best part is I'm not the one with serious case of monkey butt after riding for 6 hours. That 2x4 that passes for a seat on his bike will really work you over....