Old Noob- Thanks and a silencer question

Got questions? We got answers....
realbtl

Old Noob- Thanks and a silencer question

Post by realbtl »

35 years after my last dirt bike-a Bultaco Alpina since you asked, I told you I'm old- I got tired of kamikaze deer trying to take me out on my street bike, got rid of it and bought an 02 200. Thanks to all of you for this wealth of information. I've already figured out I've got a desert pipe (oh well, I guess a project for this winter will be a woods pipe. I'm in NW Montana and slow).

I've got an FMF Turbine Core 2 that's way too loud for me plus I'm only marginally street legal and don't want the attention. Does anyone have experience with the FMF "Q" silencer? Is there a better alternative for stealth running? Thanks in advance.
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

The Q's are pretty quiet, but then again the TC2's aren't that bad either. I would suggest that you refresh your packing and try it out before plunking down the cash for a new silencer. I just repacked mine last weekend and tried it and the supposedly stealth stock unit back to back and could only tell a very marginal difference between the 2 in a variety of RPM's.
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
realbtl

Post by realbtl »

Thanks. I knew this at one time. Too many years on 4 stroke street bikes. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Hey realbtl, way back in the '70's there was a tough cross country race in western Montana call "Mount High". Did you ever race that? Being from northern Wyoming, I raced it 1977 thru 1979, it was a fun, tough event.

Like you, I'm back on a dirt bike after many years away, the KDX (I've got a 220) is a great choice.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Put the stocker back on if it to loud.
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

i have a stock pipe and silencer, great condition{running it now}i would trade with some $ for your setup..... if your interested? i am wanting a desert pipe.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
realbtl

Post by realbtl »

Chkdx- I'm a California refugee,only been up here 10 or so years but would never go back.

kdxmaniac- The bike came with the stock setup in the box of parts. I'm going to repack the silencer and try that. If I replace the desert pipe it will be this winter. Once it gets below 10 degrees even bicycle riding is too much for me.
01twostrokingfun

Post by 01twostrokingfun »

If u decide to sell that silencer let me know. I'm looking for one that's foresty approved (spark arrestor). I'm running an FMF 304 (shorty) now but no arrestor.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The stock setup is the quietest by far! The pipe that is.... performance suffers quite a bit though....

The stock silencer is no more quiet than the Turbine core.... at least mine.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "