FMF "Q" Silencer

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

FMF "Q" Silencer

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Hey,
Anybody out there try the FMF "Q" silencer? I read a previous thread that about the Turbine Core 2 "Q" Silencer, but I am refering to a pipe that does not list Turbine Core 2 on it.

https://www.fmfracing.com/products/cata ... egoryID=63

Is there any major loss of power compare to the Turbine Core 2?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Re: FMF "Q" Silencer

Post by Indawoods »

FMF' site wrote:Our highly acclaimed "Q" series silencers shook the motorcycling world on its debut in 2002. With its longer oval canister, the trademarked Q uses internal technology that retains optimum flow characteristics while enhancing sound absorbtion qualities. The U.S. Forest legal spark arrestor will meet the mandated 96dB sound level set by the US Forest Service making it the quietest 2-stroke performance spark arrestor made! Serious sound deadening qualities and excellent power.
It is spark arresting just like the Turbine core. I haven't tried it but it's hard to go wrong with FMF. I'm sure there will be a little power loss due to the extra restriction that the "Q" makes in extra packing and length.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Their ad used to say something along the line of, '..not as much power loss as most SAs of its type..' or something like that, so...they KNOW it's losing something.

96db? Cripes...the regular TCII is one heckuva lot quieter than that! At least based on what tech has said about my bike.

A completely unrelated BTW...but the db limit on the dunes (pacific coast) here is 92. Now...they don't enforce that a whole lot, but it's pretty much telling you, 'Aftermarket stuff not allowed!' Some oem machines are louder than 92!

That's the way the blessed government does things. 'Of COURSE you can ride your machine on OUR beaches. It's just that it can't have any visible smoke...and you must meet a 68db limit. Other than that, come one, come all!!'

Bastages!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

They seem to be really strict on dirt bikers out there. Here in Nova Scotia, we have no sound laws on highway or off, just the necessary spark arrestor. No emision laws off-highway either, but that will probably change in the future. Heck, I can make my KDX street legal with a few minor mods: Signals, horn, battery, brake light, high beam, and tires. Quite often I see four wheelers driving down the shoulder of the road and I am told that if they are going a reasonably slow speed, they wont get fined. I once saw a moded CR500 driving down the road, and it was plenty loud and street legal. :supz:
Still have to watch for those cops driving the 450F's and banshee's, i hear they are learning to drive pretty good.
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

I've never had a TCII but I do have a Q. It's reasonably quiet. I'll get a db reading at the next enduro that the club I just joined has. It's the 26th.

Best,
Greg
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

In general, a longer silencer (My people call it muffler) is for mid - high RPM power and a shorter silencer is for low to mid RPM power.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Jason wrote:In general, a longer silencer (My people call it muffler) is for mid - high RPM power and a shorter silencer is for low to mid RPM power.
Really? I'd have thought it was the other way around? Shorter means less backpressure which should be better for high RPM's correct? Longer, would create more back pressure and then create more low RPM torque?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It says something about it on the FMF site. I can't remember the exact wording. It was saying something about the shorty's being for SX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
OverTheHill
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by OverTheHill »

I just finished installing a Q as part of the RB Designs carb. upgrade (pipe, air intake, reeds). The official name is Turbine Core 2 Q. I think it's as quiet as the stock muffler but with a nice growling tone. It's also 5 lb. lighter. It fit perfecly - once I found the bolt and spacer that had gotten lost in the packing popcorn. This site may be of some interest - if only to prove that different testers and muffler maintenace makes a big difference - ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page id=23038 . I'll trade a slight decrease in power for a place to ride any time!
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Jason wrote:It says something about it on the FMF site. I can't remember the exact wording. It was saying something about the shorty's being for SX.
I used to think the same thing but for SX, Eric Gorr says that the powerband is low/mid. It makes sense too if you think about the relative lengths of straightaways connecting jumps, having bunches of whoops, etc. They proabbly don't spend that much time WFO. Here's the link:

http://www.ericgorr.com/twostktech/egportweb.html

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial