rust in metallic tank

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

rust in metallic tank

Post by scheckaet »

anybody with some tips in how to remove rust?
It's an old 1975 TY 125, I want to get it going for my GF to learn on (very tame bike that's low on the ground perfect to learn on)
It fired up about a year ago (was my 1st bike) after being stored in the attic for 6-7 years.

I put some rocks in the tank and left it on a rotisserie, turning overnight to get some of that rust out, dunno if it'll work or not.

I tried wet sandblasting but it only worked where the nozzle reached the inside of the tank (i.e almost nothing).

I'm not trying to restore the tank, cuz I know it's a lost cause, be better off to find another tank...or bike. Such a shame to let this bike go to waste un-used though.

Any other tips are welcome.

wilf
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There is a product call POR I believe that used in one of my old DT125's... worked great! It has an acid wash that you pour in the tank that eats all the rust up and then you put this sealer in it to stop any more rust from forming.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I think the rocks and the rotisserie will work well. I think I'd add a little sand and water as well. (seriously!)

Rinse well with water, and then with gas and oil mix and you'll be good to go!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:There is a product call POR I believe that used in one of my old DT125's... worked great! It has an acid wash that you pour in the tank that eats all the rust up and then you put this sealer in it to stop any more rust from forming.
I second that...! I believe it has 3 parts to it;

Acid wash, Neutralizer (gets rid of the acid wash), and Sealer.

Ron
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

I once put a bunch of daisy BB's in a metal tank and had the hardware store put it on their paint shaker. Worked great. But as Inda mentioned, use a sealer, something like "Kreme" after you get the rust out.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

Here's a link from Practical Machinist.. (copied from ADVrider.com)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/an ... ost1349223
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I recently used this method:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/ ... usting.htm

The POR15 stuff is good. My goal was to end up with a tank that was like factory (IE uncoated). If that coating starts to peel up one day which I've seen, it's not a pretty site. I just got rid of the rust, and decided I'll keep the tank full! I've also started to add Marvels or 2T oil to every tank in hopes that it will leave a film while it's draining....Plus it makes a 4T smell like a real bike.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I just use muriatic acid, and then seal it afterward. Works great. Made my 73 f-11 tank look brand new inside.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

thanks for the tips guys.
I couldn't find any of the recommended product here, so I left it "roast" a few hours, washed it, cleaned up carb, filled up with fresh gas, kick 2 times (not kidding) and she fired right up! :supz:
This is a 35 years old bike that sat in the attic for 7 years :shock:, and still fired up on the 2nd kick :supz:

My GF loved it, she didn't want to get off! She did great for a 1st time on a bike :partyman:

Now I need to work a bit on the jetting, then tear the whole thing down to grease all the bearings (if there are still bearings in it), replace the fork seals and all (if it still has oil in them), sandblast the frame, paint it then maybe...dang why do i always get sucked in project like that??? Maybe I'll do some of that my next trip, the important is that SHE RUNS!

Thanks for all the tips guys
Wilf
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Thats awsome.