Cylinder markings

Got questions? We got answers....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

"and I just don't see it blowing us away!"

It won't. You might get close, but it'll always be a KDX motor.

I let a buddy who rides a CR250 ride my hybrid just after I finished it - RBD head and carb, fresh piston, real carefull jetting. He did not know it had a KDX motor.

He wanted to know how I had gotten the motor so happy and smooth. He really liked it, but wanted to know how I had flattened out the hit so much and moved so much power down low. He commented that it was missing out on overrev.

Compared to his CR250 it was short on hit and over rev, and his CR was not even in very good shape
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I just fail to see the point of riding a bike that is out of control. The KDX can easily be tuned to the point of it is very hard to hang on... beond that... it would be out of control. I know kids are adrenaline junkies... and that is what gets them hurt. That services no one but the hospitals.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Well, it would seem that you're the kdxpert here now, so I'll leave you to your own devices.

see! comments like that is what really bugs me! i dont remember anywhere on here where he says he's a "kdx expert"........ hes only telling you the way he sees the kdx........ if all you owned in your lifetime is a vw beetle.....then yes, thats the fastest car you have ever owned. :lol:get my point?................. as far as kids getting hurt on bikes.....thats why MEN ride big bikes!
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... that hurt on bikes statement makes no sense....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

juliend wrote:
Well, it would seem that you're the kdxpert here now, so I'll leave you to your own devices.

I felt that was uncalled for too, actually.

However, you know what they say about arguing on the internet....... :wink:

The riding terrain and trail type is what really decides the usefullness and suitability of a bike, IMO. The trails at my house where I do 90% of my riding are tight tight tight. A lot people curse us and our trail building methods and claim they are unridable. To a lot of people and bikes they really do suck. If you can average 14 mph for the whole 20 miles you are pretty fast. These trails suck to a lot of people because they got way too much bike for them. It is kind of like taking a 250 hp bass boat up in the bayou; you can do it, but why would you.

On the other hand, when we go out to the National Forest trails I am at a bit of a disadvantage. Those trails are typically 40" wide and pretty fast flowing. Even the so-called motorcycle loops are 24" to 36" wide and run pretty fast. I actually find myself bumping the throttle stop a good bit. Nice terrain for a bike with more horsepower.

The OP felt like the KDX did not meet his needs. Who can argue with that?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No one... I just don't think it is set up properly. As I said... a Rev pipe instead of a Woods and reed change would probably do wonders. And to throw more money at it... the RB mods. I can see where you may be at a point where you may not want to throw more money at it but if you are overboring a KX to get more out of it... what is really the difference?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

Wow this whole thread has taken a turn that I never would have foreseen.

My closing points:

1. I feel the KDX is a perfectly fine bike, just not sure if it is what my son will enjoy the most at this point in time.

2. As far as the money thing goes: $1400 for the bike, $900 dollars spent in restoration and getting it back up in a close to new condition. That's $2300 on a 2006 KDX, at some point I have to ask myself how much I want to spend, $250 more for some nice RB mods? Could make it really nice, but will it achieve the desired results? Ride it as is and enjoy it as the nice clean smooth running trail bike that it is? Start porting and really going nuts? Sell it, and get something different, after all I did get great enjoyment out of fixing it up, so it is not really a loss to me, it was fun! And the KX my son has been riding, Eric Gorr charged less to build that stroker motor than what I have spent on this KDX. Hobbies cost anyway, right, just a matter of where you feel like stopping.

2. I never said I was a KDX expert, but I do know how to work on bikes and perform the task of properly jetting a two or four stroke engine. Jetting btw is some what subjective as to what could be considered perfect. If a bike is not drooling, fouling plugs and runs clean, then it is technically jetted correct. That is not to say that once you reach that point you have found the type of power delivery that you are after. Although jetting is the single most important part to get correct, jetting alone will only get you so far towards specific goals, or at least in some circumstances.

3. My son's current bike is actually very smooth, but that is not to say that it is not lively and very responsive in the right ways to suite him. I feel he is on a very safe bike and one that he has gotten great enjoyment out of. It is not like I am going to put him on a YZ250! Heck I don't want to ride a YZ250 as a woods bike, though some people do.

4. Never meant to ruffle any feathers, never meant to come across as a know-it-all, never meant to give the impression that I am a beginner when it comes to bikes either. I am just interested in sharing information and gaining information from others, then we all win!

5. And last but not least, I only started this thread because I was curious about something that I had read somewhere on this site. Where is the illusive cylinder stamp? :grin:
Last edited by Griffbones on 02:45 pm Jul 23 2010, edited 1 time in total.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: Let me go snap a pic for ya.... if I can get to it. :wink:

It's all good. I have a feeling that your son is more than likely used to his bike and anything different is going to feel... well different! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote::lol: Let me go snap a pic for ya.... if I can get to it. :wink:

It's all good. I have a feeling that your son is more than likely used to his bike and anything different is going to feel... well different! :wink:
DING DING DING I think Indawoods just hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!
Change is hard sometimes and this is especially true of my son due to some special circumstances that he has.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here ya go... this is a "B" stamped cylinder and my current spare. The one that is on my bike is a "C" I believe...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Griffbones wrote:>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote::lol: Let me go snap a pic for ya.... if I can get to it. :wink:

DING DING DING I think Indawoods just hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!
Change is hard sometimes and this is especially true of my son due to some special circumstances that he has.
I have hated every new bike I have ever gotten until I got used to its characteristics.

Good luck to you in your search for the perfect bike for him.

I have a KX100 basket case sitting in my shop waiting for a full rebuild for my son. He is not ready for the power or the "livelyness" of the bike yet so there it sits.

BTW. This has been one of the best threads ever.
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote:>|<

BTW. This has been one of the best threads ever.

yep......got that right! this is more like it........ if we all agreed on the same thing, what would we talk about? :supz:
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

AWESOME! Just what I was after, thank you very very much Inda. :supz:

I don't think that I would have ever seen that with out taking the tank off. I was looking all around the sides, above and below the intake flange etc....
Now I can hardly wait to get out to the garage and see if our bike has a stamped cylinder too! Not that this negates measuring things, but I am just a curious kinda guy. Good things come to those who wait! :grin:

You know it is so hard at times to know how to take what people type in a thread, it's not the same as actually listening to and hearing a human voice. So I figure I should try to keep my words soft and do my best to hear everyone out. Oh yeah that's the problem..........I can't really hear them. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Griffbones on 03:02 pm Jul 24 2010, edited 1 time in total.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

Well guess what, this stamp can easily be seen without removing anything from the bike!

For what it is worth, our bike is stamped with an A. :pop:

Funny thing is, our's is stamped on the left front corner instead of the right front corner as shown in Inda's picture. :rolleyes:
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Hmm. I'll have to go check my cylinders for stamps now, lol. Never seen that before.......