Better solution to the kick start lever problem

Got questions? We got answers....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Better solution to the kick start lever problem

Post by KarlP »

I've used the below combination for over a year now with no issues. Somewhere I have a document that clearly spells out what has to be done. The below is copied from a post in the product reviews section. Assuming this fits in a KDX frame, and I think it will, it is a permenent solution to the pesky kick start lever problem. The cost was about the same as Fredettes solution.

I'll see if I can find the document mentioned below if anyone wants it.

Inda- Should this be put in the sticky for common mods?

""All right, job done.
I used a '99 KX250 knuckle (herafter known as a "boss") and the '95 KX125 lever off of our KX100.

The boss is narrower so a thick washer of the correct ID and OD has to be put under the nut on the splined shaft.

I had to file a wee bit on the groove on the boss that the screw that goes through the lever rides in. The screw did not want to go through smoothly. Maybe a '98/'02 KX125 lever would not have that issue.

I had to file a good bit off the heel of the lever to get it to clear the frame on my CR hybrid. I don't know if the same issue would be present on the KDX frame - I think not.

The boss to lever joint is a better design than the FRP design, IMO.

The lever itself is weaker than the FRP lever, or at least substantially thinner. Time will tell if it holds up as well as the FRP lever.

I have a document with pictures and words I will be glad to send to anyone, given an address.""
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
hockeyboysomers

Post by hockeyboysomers »

I just used the 1999 KX250 kickstart lever in its full length. I was going to use only the knuckle (boss), but when it arrived i saw that it would fit. It is nice, the upper part is forged aluminium, must be lighter than mild steel. There might be one problem! My bike is a Hybrid 2003 KX125 frame-2004 KDX220 engine. I can't say 100% that it will fit on a standard KDX. Someone else is going to have to try it, to see if it isn't too long. I think I ordered from Bike Bandit. If someone nearby wanted to try it and see if it would fit, I would be glad to let them test fit it on their bike. I live in Westchester County, New York.
Thanks, Dave
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

why bother on so much modification if it actually cost the same to the frp ones? not worth the trouble for me. just buy the frp ones..done. unless you have one in the junk to mmod....
A true KDX customizer!!
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
KDXsg wrote:why bother on so much modification if it actually cost the same to the frp ones? not worth the trouble for me. just buy the frp ones..done. unless you have one in the junk to mmod....
+1, my FRP works great. The bike lights up like half way through the stroke with the shorter lever. Easy peasy!
Grayhorse

Post by Grayhorse »

I have had an FRP for years and cant complain, I like it much better than stock!
96 KDX 200 H2
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Hmm, I don't know what you guys are talking about but my stock kicker works just fine. :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:Hmm, I don't know what you guys are talking about but my stock kicker works just fine. :mrgreen:
Mine too. Took me a while to realize that the additional angle keeps me from hitting my boot on the peg. Only an issue when it's wet, and even then not much.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

KDXsg wrote:
why bother on so much modification if it actually cost the same to the frp ones? not worth the trouble for me. just buy the frp ones..done. unless you have one in the junk to mmod....

+1, my FRP works great. The bike lights up like half way through the stroke with the shorter lever. Easy peasy!
All good points, but......

For me the stocker was just too long on the KDX frame and would not fit at all on the CR frame.
I used the FRP one for several years with no real complaint. The pivot got all wallowed out and it used to rattle around and want to fold out at bad times. Rather than try to fix it up or get another one I used the KX stuff.

The KX lever is a lot more durable than the stock or FRP one The pivot is sealed and I can keep a bit of grease in it. It also looks a bit better than the FRP one.

Just letting you know...... :wink:
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

Yes the boss is better on the kx kick.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Mr. Canuck

Yup, I think that is your bike in the last picture of that document.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Mr. Canuck

Yup, I think that is your bike in the last picture of that document.
Yes it is sir.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300