Looking for a pipe for my kdx

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxer1

Looking for a pipe for my kdx

Post by kdxer1 »

I have a 2006 stock KDX that I would like to put a pipe on. Just wondering which pipe everyone recommends. I ride mostly trails like Hatfield Mcoy and do some local hillclimbing for fun. I searched this site for info, just looking for more info before I plop my money down. Will I have to rejet the carb when I put a pipe on? Thanks
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

200 or 220?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxer1

Post by kdxer1 »

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Most run a FMF Rev pipe on the 200... I run a FMF woods pipe personally. I want all the grunt I can possibly get.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
gregp

Post by gregp »

I agree with Inda. It all depends on what kind of terrain you ride. If you spend most of your time in more open conditions, or tracks, you will like the Desert pipe.
If you spend most of your time in the woods, the Woods pipe is what you want.
Either pipe, with an aftermarket reed cage, will have your KDX performing very nicely.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
kdxer1

Post by kdxer1 »

Sounds like a FMF woods pipe is the one for me. Which reed cage do you recommend? Do you have to rejet the bike after you put a pipe and reeds on? Thanks
pakabo22

Post by pakabo22 »

I just posted a blog on my rev/desert pipe. I bolted it on with no jetting changes and as mentioned before there is NO more low end. You are either on the pipe or not. No more lugging up hills in 2nd or 3rd gear. On the flat land though it hauls _ _ _! One of the guys that responded to me said to jet it and that will take care of the problem. If not I will purchase the woods pipe.
jswag

Post by jswag »

i put the gnarly woods pipe on my 200 and drilled holes in the airbox..didnt touch the jetting. And the results were awesome.Better power all the way top to bottom.Sounds great too! Dont forget the pipe guard! Mine has saved my pipe several times....
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

I'm using a Gnarly woods pipe on my 200. Changed my pre-mix from 32:1 to 40:1 at the same time I put the pipe on, and when I re-checked the jetting, it ended up staying the same. Using the stock reed block still, with no airbox lid. Lots of snap on bottom, with a very good mid-range, top seems to be maybe a little off with a 152 main, but no oftener than I'm revving it that much, it's hard to reallly tell.
When the weather cools a little and I start riding a lot again I'll go through the jetting again and try a couple of different mains to see if it comes around.
But, all in all, the pipe made a very noticeable improvement over the stocker. Well worth the $$ spent IMO.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Dr. Green

Post by Dr. Green »

I have a 200 and will say the Desert (Rev) Pipe is awesome! I went to the Sam Houston National Forest 7/17/10 and this pipe kicks azz! More power everywhere. I was able to run a gear higher and no re-jetting. My buddy and I took a wrong turn and had to get on the service road so we wouldn't run out of gas. I nailed it in 3rd and did 30-foot power wheelie, man what a hoot! And I weight 240lbs and use stock 13/47 gearing. The top end in 6th made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. This is coming from a guy who rides a highly modified R1 on the street most of the time. But that kind of speed on a bumpy loose dirt/gravel road is more than enough to wake you up. Anyway, there is a VF-3 Reed Valve on the way to me right now. Can't wait to try that out on the trails. But as far as the low end compared to stock the Desert Pipe is much better. In my opinion, if you need more low you can get it with gearing, because you will get more speed in every gear with the Desert Pipe anyway. Let us know what you get.
Dr. Green and The Green Machine:

Frisbee Mod; UNI Filter; FMF REV Pipe (WOW!); V-Force 3 Reed Valve.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Dr Green said "More power everywhere" with the rev pipe.
Agreed, no loss down low and much more mid to upper.......
The pipe is the BEST first mod to do to a stock set up.
Oasiscraze

Post by Oasiscraze »

Dr. Green wrote:I have a 200 and will say the Desert (Rev) Pipe is awesome! I went to the Sam Houston National Forest 7/17/10 and this pipe kicks azz! More power everywhere. I was able to run a gear higher and no re-jetting. My buddy and I took a wrong turn and had to get on the service road so we wouldn't run out of gas. I nailed it in 3rd and did 30-foot power wheelie, man what a hoot! And I weight 240lbs and use stock 13/47 gearing. The top end in 6th made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. This is coming from a guy who rides a highly modified R1 on the street most of the time. But that kind of speed on a bumpy loose dirt/gravel road is more than enough to wake you up. Anyway, there is a VF-3 Reed Valve on the way to me right now. Can't wait to try that out on the trails. But as far as the low end compared to stock the Desert Pipe is much better. In my opinion, if you need more low you can get it with gearing, because you will get more speed in every gear with the Desert Pipe anyway. Let us know what you get.
I'm in your area wsimians same mods. What jetting setup are you running?