Rear shock lowering

Got questions? We got answers....
budpat105

Rear shock lowering

Post by budpat105 »

I made me some 120mm lowering links for my 2002 KDX200. I have been riding it and getting used to it as I haven't dirt rode since 1980. I'm getting a little better and have decided the links have made my rear shock too soft. I would like to remove the links ( put stock on)and take my shock apart and shorten it to lower the bike about 2". Any one know how thick of a spacer and where to place it in the shock? I know I will need to get it pressurized when i get done but I think it is a do able job. I live in central IL and am open to places to get it pressurized. Thanks Also would love to meet up with the South Fork riders some time.
Jonooffler

Post by Jonooffler »

Hi working on shorting the the shock will cost big money and might not even work out.
You say that the lowering links have made the shock too soft have you looked at adding pre load to the spring to firm it up a bit you might find that it will sort things out a bit. The KDX is very soft at the best of times but if it blows through the full run of it's travel you might need a new spring.
Failing that you could buy a KTM they are a bit lower that the KDX :lol:
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.