cleaning the spark arrestor on FMF Core Turbine II Pipe

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxinmt

cleaning the spark arrestor on FMF Core Turbine II Pipe

Post by kdxinmt »

Hey all,

I am in the process of repacking my FMF Core Turbine II muffler and was curious if there is a good way to clean out the spark arrestor part of the muffler without drilling out the rivets? I'm pretty sure you are not even supposed to drill out the rivets, but I can't find any information on the FMF website explaining how to clean the spark arrestor.

THANKS!!
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

OK, I will jump in. I dont know any other way but to drill out and replace rivets every time. Just be careful and you will be able to do it several times before replacing can entirely.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

No screen, so what's to clean? A spray down with brake cleaner or carb cleaner would probably do the trick to remove any spooge.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
kdxinmt

Post by kdxinmt »

Maybe I should clarify a little bit. The core of the muffler can be removed by taking out allen bolts. However, the tip of the muffler where the spark arrestor is located is riveted in, making it hard to remove.

I am hesitant to drill out the rivets because I don't have a rivet gun to reinstall them. Anyways, I did do a mixture of poking it with a screw driver and spraying it with carb cleaner. Seemed to get a pretty good amount of goo out. Unless I find someone with riveting experience I think I am just going to repack the muffler and call it good for now.

Thanks for your thoughts!
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i repacked my turbine core2 silencer just the other day..i wire-brushed the baffle & sprayed it with brake cleaner to clean off any oil .....DONT re-pack the silencer too tight!!...no need to clean out the spark arrestor so dont drill out the rivits..just spray cleaner down it to wash out any excess oil that may be down there.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

>|<>QBB<
kdxinmt wrote:Maybe I should clarify a little bit. The core of the muffler can be removed by taking out allen bolts. However, the tip of the muffler where the spark arrestor is located is riveted in, making it hard to remove.
The turbine core is a mechanical type S/A not a screen type. There is nothing there to clean that can not be done with and aerosol type solvent of some type. Follow that up with compressed air and TA-DA! (not ta-ta (.)(.) all be it just as amazing)

If you do prefer to remove the end cap for a good 'ole scrubbing any old cheap pop rivet gun will to the job. BUT, theres always a but. The end caps can be had to remove (since they are not designed to be easily removeable) and more than one has turned theirs into junk before getting it out.

Here is a thread for you to look at probably everything, or even more than you wanted to know.

Just don't google "packing the tail pipe". Not a pretty site. :shock:
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Fun times :lol:

I find it much easier to service with it all apart

With everything totally clean the silicone sticks better and the whole thing seals up for a much longer period of time
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Wibbs if I remember right yours is a Turbine Core, not the Turbine Core II. The end caps are different and harder to get off on the II. Can be done though.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

They may look a little different but the last thread we found them to be pretty much the same on the inside

I've only heard of one person really having a problem with it
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I think they are identical on the inside, just the outer can on the II was updated with the more modern style. I not have taken mine apart, never had a reason.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
kdxinmt

Post by kdxinmt »

Thanks for the help!! I got it cleaned out pretty good with a wire brush and aerosol cleaner as suggested. There was a fair amount of crub in there, glad I took the time to do it.
01twostrokingfun

Post by 01twostrokingfun »

Seems like I have read about some guys going down to the local Home Depot or Loews and buying home insulation to use for repacking but I have never seen what type to use? WHat R-factor works best or so forth. Anybody ever heard of this?????
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

It don't work that great, least it did not last very long when I tried it
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
01twostrokingfun

Post by 01twostrokingfun »

ok, sometimes it does not pay to go cheap. just wondering if it would work.
tmx

Post by tmx »

On my TCII, I drilled out the rivets and then tacked small (no longer remember the size, #10 maybe) nuts to the SA and then just reassembled with the same type of allen head bolts that hold the core in.

The first time I took it apart, the SA was so dirty and caked up that I used a propane torch to burn off all the crud. Came out like new.

-B
"Anything'll fly if you give it enough gas..."

VCHSS # 17s