1984 KDX 250

Got questions? We got answers....
SMMWest

1984 KDX 250

Post by SMMWest »

I have a chance to pick up a 1984 Kawasaki KDX 250 for really cheap. It needs a Rotor/MAGNETO. I posted on another site and everyone said that the 1984 KDX system was only made for that bike and I would never ever find one so I should pass.

I was wondering if anyone ever owned one of these bikes? Also does anyone know what other Kawasaki models (be it KDX or KX) that have the same Rotor/Magneto as the 1984 KDX 250?

Thank You in advance.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm one of the two people over there who responded that counts as "everyone" I guess. That makes me feel special :)

That part does not cross reference to any other bike, including KDX250's of other years. If you can actually find one in stock somewhere, it will run you about $400. Otherwise you might search Ebay, but chances are slim.
SMMWest

Post by SMMWest »

Your on my myspace page?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

SMMWest

Post by SMMWest »

Oh I was talking about my myspace blog though. I have a lot my riding buddies on there and old time Trail Riding guys. They all said the same thing that you did at dirtrider.net.

I am hoping that someone somewhere would have access to those parts. I think I am going to get it any way, rebuild it from the ground up, Suspension, Bearings, Powder Coat the Frame, Porting, Head Mods, Pipe and Silencer, and during that whole process I am sure I will come across what I am searching for.

Once again THANK YOU.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

LMMFAO @ dirtflamer.net!!!!! That's my new favorite!!!

be careful man. Honestly, even if you do find a decent used flywheel, they tend to shatter randomly, and at $400 a pop, that makes it very cost prohibitive to keep the bike running. Even if the bike is cheap, be patient, and find an 89+ kdx to work with. They pop up for really cheap at times. If the bike is FREE, i might consider it. Even then you're gonna have way more in it than it will ever be worth. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as I have more invested in all my bikes than they will ever be worth on resale, but hopefully you get my point.
SMMWest

Post by SMMWest »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote: Even then you're gonna have way more in it than it will ever be worth. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as I have more invested in all my bikes than they will ever be worth on resale, but hopefully you get my point.
The bike is almost "FREE". It will cost me more in gas to go 4 Cities Over and get it then I would be paying for it.

I don't ever plan on a resale. It would remain with me until the end.

Thank You for all of your help.
bigerestblazer
Supporting Member

Post by bigerestblazer »

i got my 80 kdx 175 for almost free too and put about $800 into it with the complete teardown i did to it trying to figure out what the problem was with it. After painting it i have over a grand into it but it runs great and looks better . getting a newer bike might get you more power but the pride you get from tearing a bike completely down and making it look brand new is better. :wink:
Sometimes in life when it seems like things aint goin your way theres always one answer...BIGGER HAMMER
SMMWest

Post by SMMWest »

>|<>QBB<
bigerestblazer wrote:i got my 80 kdx 175 for almost free too and put about $800 into it with the complete teardown i did to it trying to figure out what the problem was with it. After painting it i have over a grand into it but it runs great and looks better . getting a newer bike might get you more power but the pride you get from tearing a bike completely down and making it look brand new is better. :wink:
I know that feeling of rebuilding an old bike from the ground up is such a great feeling. I did an amazing rebuild of a bike last year.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I love my old bikes. Those older kdx250/kdx200 rotors are a bitch to find though, since they pretty much all shattered. All I'm saying is you might want to find the rotor BEFORE you start spending a bunch of cash on the rest of the bike.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

SMMWest

Post by SMMWest »

Thank You for the link.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Sure. Dunno if they actually HAVE it, but they are usually halfway decent at x-ing parts out if they don't have or can't get it. I've been able to get new OEM bits for my 73 here and there, so there is always hope!