racetech springs

Got questions? We got answers....
jbowens2401

racetech springs

Post by jbowens2401 »

Hey guys, I need a little help getting my front end to perform better. I really want to do the kx 125 fork swap, but I don't think it's going to fit in the budget for a while. A friend of mine has a set of .42 springs out of his old kdx forks that he will give me until I can get the kx fork swap done. My weight is about 175 in full riding gear. By racetechs website calculator these should be about right. Here are my questions. Where should I set the preload? What weight and quantity of oil should I use? Is there anything else I should do while I have the forks off? The bike has less than 50hrs on it so all the wear components should be okay. I know everyone has different preferences, but I just want to get it close until I can make the kx 125 fork swap.

Thanks,

John
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

I just ordered springs myself and noticed Racetech recommends a much stiffer spring than FRP and most of the posts I've seen on here. I weigh 200 and the .40 spring is what was suggested. Of course your riding style might require a stiffer spring.

If you do a search on here I think you can find out how to properly set sag on your bike, which is based on spring stiffness/preload.

I have heard good things about removing 2 or 3 shims and running 7.5wt oil. Again do a search and it is all explained.
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

thanks, i've tried the search and get tons of info. with family stuff it's hard to find time to sort through and find what i need. i was hoping someone who has done this before could get me going in the right direction.
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

I will be doing all of this as soon as my parts get here so if you haven't done it yet I will help you however I can!
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Thanks, same here. I'll probably get everything in time for next weekend.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Those springs should be about right on IMO. I did the KX125 conversion and have .41 springs in them. In full gear I weigh in right at 170. Even though I'm a C rider at best, I use almost all the travel my forks offer. Anyways, the springs will probably be a good match for you. From what I have read about the stockers, you might want to try either 7.5 or 10 weight oil with your new springs.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Thanks, Im going to try 7.5mt and see how it does.