kdx 200 front caliper "clicks"

Got questions? We got answers....
curtisa

kdx 200 front caliper "clicks"

Post by curtisa »

When I apply the front brake and push down on the forks I hear and feel a faint clicking. Turns out its the caliper. The caliper has two halves held together with two pins and one of them has some "play" in it that rocks back and forth as the forks are compressed with the front brake locked-up. Its the pin/bushing that has a 12 mm hex nut. The hex is tight against the caliper housing and I'm wondering if this clicking-free play is normal or the pin/bushing is worn out?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I say it is normal. Seems like mine did that, too.

If they work all right, I wouldn't worry about it
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

1 make sure you pads are not completely gone
2 check the pins, they maybe slightly grooved, the pads won't release properly, might be your issue there. replace them they're cheap insurance if you have any doubt.
By the way, "two halves held together with two pins" it's your brake pads held with the pins :wink:
your caliper (the whole unit) should move side to side by hand, you can clean the assembly and grease it. It's a good opportunity to give it a good cleaning and remove any junk that could be trapped around the piston too.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not to mention the rotor is a split design... most people hear the two half coming together....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Not to mention the rotor is a split design... most people hear the two half coming together....
+1
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
curtisa

Post by curtisa »

The pads and the pins that go thru them are new. The caliper has two halves and I can flex them because one of the bushings that the two halves are held together with has a little "play.". One of these bushings has a 12 mm hex nut built into it and that's the one that wiggles. These bushings have rubber boots and they allow the two halves to slide which is how the pads tighten on the rotor. There needs to be some play, but when I checked my ktm's caliper it was solid.