KDX not running, out of ideas.

Got questions? We got answers....
jdmurray

KDX not running, out of ideas.

Post by jdmurray »

Hi, have a quick question,

Just got my new reeds in and when I installed them it ran for a second and died. Havent been able to start it since. Have spark, gas getting into carb and engine, cleared all old fuel, tried old reeds, still have normal compression recently put on the RB carb and ran a few hours on it so dont think its a problem with the carb. Possible timing issue? CDI? any ideas?
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

Did you try putting your old reeds back in and see if it would crank? If so bingo, there's your problem.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Everyone goes to the CDI when a bike won't start. I have NEVER seen a CDI go bad on a KDX personally.... that doesn't mean it doesn't happen but it is so rare that i wouldn't even consider it.... especially if it happened after changing something out. It has got to be carb, fuel delivery or reed orientation. All the things you messed with while relacing your reeds....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

if you have spark, wouldnt that mean your cdi is good?? you need to put a new plug in it. i have seen plugs fire until they get under pressure. take the old plug out, and pour a little gas into the cylinder.... if it runs, then its in your carb.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

HAVE you tried a new plug yet?
If you have spark, your CDI is good, but doesn't nessesarily mean if the plug is bad it's firing in the cylinder.
If your sure your getting gas into the combustion chamber (plug is wet, right? another vote for a bad plug).
It's a 2 stroke, the timing can't change unless you've messed with the stator.
New plug before you do anything else.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness