Another newby KIPS Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Another newby KIPS Question

Post by Griffbones »

I searched and didn't find an answer to this question so I am going to ask.

When riding along at a steady speed under light load, (in the spot that most two strokes are least smooth due to low load), does the KIPS tend to rattle then too, kind of like it does at idle?

I think I am probably hearing normal noises, but need a sanity check so that I can sleep at night! :?

BTW my jets came in, and I now have the bike pulling pretty strong and no drool to speak of. This was on a 93 degree day with 65+ % humidity; needless to say a tough day to jet a bike!

Thanks in advance fellas.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

I know my bike makes the kips rattle at low rpms no matter what gear you are in. There seems to be a spot before the rpm's come up and the power ban kicks in that it always does this. When I leaned out the jetting a little it was not as bad. This is the most racket making engine I have ever had but, I love it more than any I have had? Sometimes It sounds like it's going to come apart but, it always keeps going and going and going and going..........
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep... completely normal!

If you don't have a skid plate on your bike... you ain't heard nothin' yet! :lol:

Put a skid plate on and you will amplify that sound by 5 at least.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

Wow thanks guys. I have been around dirt bikes for many years, but never had one sound like this.

Performancecycle, I too found that the more I leaned the bike out the less noise it makes. It is almost like if you are riding in that nasty 1/4 throttle range under very light load it hammers like the piston is knocking, very scary sounding.

I did check the KIPS in more depth. Per a suggestion I found while searching this site! :supz: I removed the plug on the left side of the cylinder and turned the main shaft with a socket, then through the exhaust port I could see that all three valves are in fact moving like they should. I also noticed that the shaft turns nice and easy and smooth, and will snap back in position on it's own.

So I really think this top end is in good shape. Piston looks good, what I can see of the cylinder through the exhaust port looks good, good compression and power valves all move properly. I guess we need to start riding the bike and quit worrying about it. :grin:

Thanks to all of you guys and your support, you have made this a much easier project. And thanks for being so patient with me and my dumb questions. You guys ROCK! :supz:
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)