Wiseco piston installation

Got questions? We got answers....
woodchucker
Supporting Member

Wiseco piston installation

Post by woodchucker »

Just changed the stock piston in my '02 KDX 220 to a Wiesco and would like to check with the experts here to see if I missed anything.

The arrow is pointing toward the exhaust port, circlip gaps are at 12 o'clock, I believe they are seated properly, but how do you know for sure?
I have carefully pushed them into place with a screwdriver blade as far as they will go, they protrude into the wrist pin hole about .020".
Ring end gaps are aligned with locating pins.

Scuffed the cylinder with a scrunge pad, plating appears fine, no chipping or flaking around the ports or scoring in the cylinder.

Kips is free and seems to be working fine, so left well enough alone and flushed it with kerosene to clean things up a bit. (Just oily, not gummy.)
Dot is aligned with line upon reassembly.

Sent the head to Ron for the mod, which should arrive today. Just wanted to make sure everything is in order before I button it up, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks to Inda and everyone for a great site!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Sounds like you did fine. If you really want to be sure about the wrist pin, grab up a deep well socket small enough to fit through the circlip but still meet the outside edge of the wrist pin. Try to firmly push the wristpin out from either side. If one of your circlips pops out, it wasn't seated all the way! You wanna make sure you have a hand or something covering the other side, in case it does come flying out.
woodchucker
Supporting Member

Post by woodchucker »

Thanks juliend, that's just what I was hoping for, a way to positively verify that the circlips are going to stay put.

I have lost sleep worrying about those little buggers flying out.

Brilliant idea!
Deer are elusive. They know they're a delicacy.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Also, I keep an old wrist pin handy for seating the clips in to begin with. It's obviously the perfect size to push on the clip evenly.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have lost sleep over the circlips too...

When I got my bike, it had one that was dislodged and gouged the cylinder really bad. Had to get a new one.

I am the most anal person you will find on circlips. Even with a Pro-X piston, I will use Wisco circlips. They are the best.

The main thing with circlips is get the orientated right before you put them in and snap them in place. You don't want to overwork the metal because they will distort.

Good luck!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

I don't know how stiff the KDX C-clips are, but the OEM clips for my KTM are a real bear! I ended up buying the C-clipper tool from BUX Tools. This was the best investment I ever made for a specialty tool, it works fantastic. The C-clips go in perfect the first time, every time!

I am sure the KDX uses a different size wrist pin so my tool probably won't work for my new KDX. If the KDX C-clips are too tough to put in, I will be buying another C-Clipper tool in the correct size for the KDX.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
woodchucker
Supporting Member

Post by woodchucker »

Just a quick update, the bike is back together after the long drive to the property over the weekend. Had only ridden it once gently for fear of the piston fragging, now I can finally ride it and start getting used to it.

I have no basis of comparison before and after the head mod, but Ron's machine work is top notch, and the bike has more than enough power. The carb mod is next on the to do list, probably followed by KX forks.

Thanks to juliend for invaluable tips and inda for relating his rather nasty experience with circlips which made me determined to get 'em right.

Will have to learn about jetting, the bike now lives at 3300' altitude, I believe the previous owner had it jetted for about sea level.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks GREAT! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
woodchucker
Supporting Member

Post by woodchucker »

Thanks Inda, I'm excited to get to know the KDX and enjoy it.

This is it's new home, 40 acres "in da woods"
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You have some beautiful country there.... she should like it!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****