General KDX220 Help with Setup, Decisions

Got questions? We got answers....
thedeatons

General KDX220 Help with Setup, Decisions

Post by thedeatons »

I have been reading a LOT of threads including those by CC & IdahoCharlie about suspension, and tuning. I have made a short list of ideas that I wanted you guys to go over. Please.

I ride with my kids. 5 & 8 years old. I like doing wheelies right off idle, and at 5'11" and 160lbs I prefer a lightweight bike for loading, unloading, maneuvering. This is why I bought the KDX220 a couple weeks ago.

The short list is as follows:

Power
NGK BR8EIX Spark Plug
Boyesen Power Reeds 59-7607
FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe & Silencer
RB Carb & Head Mod

Suspension
’96-’99 Honda XR400 Fork Springs .38kg 51401-KCY-671
1” Sched 40 PVC (5mm-8mm) Preload Spacer
x6 24mm (large) Base Valve Face Shims removed
Ohlins Rear Shock (GasGas shortened 20mm with 5wt. oil)

That is my short list. I have some other things in mind for cosmetics but that is another conversation.

I originally intended to install USD forks on the KDX, but frankly I just don't think they would benefit my current riding style (with kids). I would rather spend the money somewhere else and simply respring my forks and setup the current suspension.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on my current ideas.....

Thanks!
James
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The rear shock replacement wouldn't benefit anything but lightening your wallet.

The NGK BR8IX will not benefit your bike... again it will just lighten your wallet. The NGK BR8ES is the plug you want.

Not sure on the fork shims since i just pitched mine for the KX forks.

Everything else is a good list.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I like it. The Iridium plug won't benefit any, like Inda said. The woods pipe also does not behave very well on the 220, from what I understand. You can run a rev pipe, and it will not limit your ability to wheelie off idle and it certainly won't kill what little top end the 220 has like the woods pipe will.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

my 220 likes the iridium plug ..it burns the fuel much better,is also more fuel efficient (better m.p.g),throttle response is much crisper & i get a lot less goo (hardly any) dripping off the tail pipe than i do when i run the `normal` type of plug..the down side is yes they are a little more expensive..no increase in performance as such but they can contribute to making your bike run a little better, provided its set up well to begin with.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
cornishwrecker220 wrote:my 220 likes the iridium plug ..it burns the fuel much better,is also more fuel efficient (better m.p.g),throttle response is much crisper & i get a lot less goo (hardly any) dripping off the tail pipe than i do when i run the `normal` type of plug.
Your jetting is whack then.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:>|<>QBB<
cornishwrecker220 wrote:my 220 likes the iridium plug ..it burns the fuel much better,is also more fuel efficient (better m.p.g),throttle response is much crisper & i get a lot less goo (hardly any) dripping off the tail pipe than i do when i run the `normal` type of plug.
Your jetting is whack then.
my jetting is pretty good..its taken me a while to find out what works & what doesnt but i do find the iridium plug does help in the final `burn` stage...sometimes i run a standard plug & thats when i notice the difference between the 2 plugs.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Interesting...
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

I run Iridiums because they foul less. That is a lot of experience with fouling speaking... There is no real performance gain, just a resistance to fouling.

I can probably drop the Ohlins from my list now that I am considering keeping the standard fork. I just have the chance to get a nice one for $150 so I was considering it...

I already have the Woods pipe, given to me by a friend for a great price, so I will probably keep that. :)

Thanks, please keep the comments coming, especially in relation to the suspension.

James
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have had the same plug in my KDX for 3 years. Who fouls a plug on a KDX?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

LOL... I know what ya mean. Just an old habit. No offense intended.

James
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

Plug diffrences aside I like the stock forks with a few good mods for woods riding witch is mostly what I do since I live on the AL, gulf coast but, I also know what a good set of usd's will do for a bike if they are built right and by right I mean for your riding style, your weight and the type of terrain you are riding on. If built properly the diffrence is like night and day. You will love a good set of usd's racetech suspension can help with that.
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

I'm certain you are correct. A nice set of motocross forks would be great with the right setup. The probably right now is budget. If XR springs keep me comfortably cruising with my kids, then I will stick with those.

This will allow me to spend some money on some other things.

I took the rear Ohlins off my list. Perhaps one day I will get to the suspension, until then I will roll with what I have I think.....

James
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The stock forks with correct springs will be fine for easy riding with your kids.
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

I don't blame you on the budget situation, times are tight!
I agree with juliend about the stockers. Good luck. :supz:
thegary

Post by thegary »

I had a FMF woods pipe on my 220 when I got it. I replaced it with the desert pipe and a 35mm carb from a 200 and it was like I got a different bike. I can wheelie at will in the first 4 gears. I would sell the woods pipe and get the desert pipe, you will not believe the difference it will make. The woods pipe works well on a 200 but does next to nothing on the 220.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I have had the same plug in my KDX for 3 years. Who fouls a plug on a KDX?
Now that you mention it I think mine is about 3 yrs old too........
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

how did the spring swap go? do you like the results?