BAD CLUTCH

Got questions? We got answers....
performancecycle

BAD CLUTCH

Post by performancecycle »

Is it just me or would these stock clutches in my 04 kdx be better used for a game of ring toss? I tried changing the springs to the heavy duty springs witch usually works but, did not on this bike. What clutch do you guys run?
With that I mean what is acceptable with a good price?
michael

Post by michael »

heavy duty spring, is it slipping?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Stock springs should be fine. How are the fibers? What oil has been run in the trans? Same clutch manufacturers for all the other bikes make clutch plates for these...Tusk, EBC, Barnett, etc.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
performancecycle

Kawasaki oil was used before I got it but it sat for about three years or so before I bought it and sitting is not good for clutches because the bands swell
and then when you start riding again they start deteriorating and slipping thats when I put the springs in to prolong the use of the stock clutch. But This is not my first kawasaki and I have had clutch problems with every one I have had, the worst was my kxf 450 I sold last year. but I just wanted to know what was a good clutch for this bike, I am always scared of a cheap clutch like the tusk but, what do you guy's think?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think the XR400 clutch plates are a direct replacement but I do believe you have to use 1 KDX clutch plate with that setup. You will end up using 1 less XR plate. Fredette sells a package I think....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Post by ldspowersports »

I have had good luck with the Rocky Mountain ATV Tusk heavy duty clutch set. A few friends have ran them as well in Banshees, and some other MX bikes with good luck.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

>|<>QBB<
ldspowersports wrote:I have had good luck with the Rocky Mountain ATV Tusk heavy duty clutch set. A few friends have ran them as well in Banshees, and some other MX bikes with good luck.
I have about 500 miles at race type pace on a Tusk set and so far so good.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
michael

Post by michael »

are the clutches worn out to start with? maybe someone has put some kind of friction modifyer in the oil at some point...
performancecycle

Thanks for the info, I ordered a tusk clutch. I guess well see how it goes but
I fell better about it after talking to you guys, thanks.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've had good results with OEM XR400 friction discs. You have to use the KDX one at the most outboard side of the pack.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy