Which KX500 forks? What's involved?

Got questions? We got answers....
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Which KX500 forks? What's involved?

Post by David_L6 »

In the BEST OF THE BEST MODS! ( http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7198 ) it's said: " A KX 500 front end is a direct replacement for the KDX so this will require almost no modification to work...".

What all do I need off of a KX500? Forks I know.... Triple clamps? What else?

What's involved in getting the triple clamps onto the KDX frame? Is it a direct bolt on? I'm not so sure that I want to get involved with having parts machined but if it isn't too involved I may.

Are 2000 model KX500 forks a good choice or are those too old?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

As stated there, more information is posted in the fork conversion forum. More conversions than you can shake a stick at, for sure.

Browse around there. You need the complete front end from wheel up to triples. I do believe you can use the KDX caliper though. The main difference between that and using kx250/125 forks is having to swap the stems. With the 125/250 forks you use the kdx stem in the kx triples. It's a press fit into the bottom triple, no big deal really.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:As stated there, more information is posted in the fork conversion forum. More conversions than you can shake a stick at, for sure.

The main difference between that and using kx250/125 forks is having to swap the stems. With the 125/250 forks you use the kdx stem in the kx triples. It's a press fit into the bottom triple, no big deal really.
I've been looking there, but there is so much information there that it's gets confusing. (Not hard to confuse me. :oops: )

If I use a KX500 front end I don't have to swap out the stem? i.e. Just take off all hte KDX parts and replace with KX500 parts?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That is correct.