Straighten bent subframe?

Got questions? We got answers....
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Straighten bent subframe?

Post by David_L6 »

I'm going to look at a KDX200 tomorrow that's about a 3.5 hour drive from me. In the pics that I was e-mailed of the bike it looks as if the subframe is bent. That wouldn't be a problem if the subframe were removable but since it isn't I was wondering if anyone here has been able to successfully straighten a subframe and if so, how did you straighten it?

The bike looks to be in pretty rough shape overall but the price isn't too bad or I would just keep looking. I've been looking for a late model KDX for several months but just haven't found much in this area....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I know someone on here has straightened the sub frame. I would say if the price is good and everything else looks good, go for it.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A chain link fence post is all you need.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Silly guy, the KDX is not a 2-stroke Diesel :lol: :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Silly guy, the KDX is not a 2-stroke Diesel :lol: :mrgreen:
Two stroke diesel dirtbike, :O
Me want.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Take everything off of the rear end, get a 2x4 and a BFH. Looks like it's been looped so maybe just the 2 end pieces are bent up. Put the 2x4 on top of the offending pieces and knock them back down with the BFH.
Another way would be to get a long piece of pipe, over the frame tips, and try to bend them back down that way.
Hard to tell how bad off it is in the photos with all the bodywork still on it, but as a rule, if it's just a simple bend (no pretzel action), it can be unbent.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Probably looped, yes. It's more than the end pieces though. The entire seat and side panels are pointing toward the sky!
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Probably looped, yes. It's more than the end pieces though. The entire seat and side panels are pointing toward the sky!
Gonna have to get the seat off and see if it's bent down in front of the side braces. If that's the case, it's pretty well fubared. But it looks like it's just bent up behind the braces.
Have to see what's under that seat.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Got a floor jack? Use the handle.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

HA!!!!! My 450 Sub-Frame is REPLACABLE!!!! HA..HA!!!!!
Kidding aside...PM SkiPro3 or maybe he will chime in....He bent the **** outta his a number of years back & he repaired it like a piece of art.....
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Where's the front brake? Or the kickstand? Or the headlight? Or the tripmeter? It doesnt even have a front rotor, that looks like an entirely new wheel, with what might be a drum brake on the right side?? :neutral:

That chain is focked, the adjusters are maxed out and it's still loose. I might pass that one up and look for a cleaner one.
'00 KDX 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Wow... no ****! PASS!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:Where's the front brake? Or the kickstand? Or the headlight? Or the tripmeter? It doesnt even have a front rotor, that looks like an entirely new wheel, with what might be a drum brake on the right side?? :neutral:

That chain is focked, the adjusters are maxed out and it's still loose. I might pass that one up and look for a cleaner one.
The bike does need some work. Looking at the pictures, I'd say it needs A LOT of work. I'm going to take a look at it in person and then decide. He's asking $1,000. Once he sees cash, he may come down....

I never worry much about chains, sprockets, or tires when I buy a used bike. I always replace those items first thing anyway.

The front brakes (everything) are mia.... He told me about that when I called the first time and quizzed him about the bike. That's no big deal though as I'll install a KX front end IF I buy it.

I'd say that his description in his ads wasn't exactly accurate. :roll: Here's the description he posted in his two ads...

First ad:

Top of the line, almost perfect condition 2006 Kawasaki KDX 200 2 stroke. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, rides like new. ready to hit the tracks right now. Clean title in hand ready for you. Very quick and clean.

Needs front brakes but that's the only little bit of maintenance it would need.

Second time he listed it:

Great condition Kawasaki 2 stroke kdx 2006. never raced, just used recreationaly around my lakeside property. runs perfectly. just need to get rid of it, I don't need my old toys now that I have a wife and baby on the way.

does need just a little maintenance work, nothing serious,you may test ride if you would like too when you get here.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

My main concern would be that the bike took a really serious hit. Hence the missing front wheel and bent subframe. Taking into account your plans for the bike, if the frame itself is not bent, perhaps it'd be a good buy for 800 or so.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

oops. I didn't look at the pix very carefully, just read the description of the bent subframe. I retract my first comment and feel like a fool. :oops: I might redeem myself by noticing the end of the silencer shows a blockage, but probably won't. I wouldn't give more than $200 for that thing, and if I got it for that I'd part it out.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

The front wheel hub does'nt look right and you will be spending way more than the bike is worth.If it looks like that it usually means it has not been taken care of and for an 06 its in pretty sad state.Tops $500 maybe.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

PASSSS
unless yoiu can get it for less than 500 bux, then maybe
obiously no maintenance was done to it
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

I e-mailed the guy twice (yesterday and the day before) and called once (last night) and asked the guy to e-mail me an address so I could print out directions. He finally got around to e-mailing me today - 4 hours after I'd given up. I didn't have time to make a 7 1/2 to 8 hour round trip (not counting the time inspecting the bike) by then. Not sure what his problem is. Needless to say, I'm still in the market for a KDX.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Dave... put your location in your profile so we know where your looking....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

$400 max on that one.

Good for parts
1992 KDX 200; RB head; Fatty pipe; stock carb; Stock silencer

40 / 150 / CGK pos 3