Straighten bent subframe?

Got questions? We got answers....
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

I would keep looking there is a perfect bike out there somewhere.
Good luck.
flyingbrick

Post by flyingbrick »

I live in California (where apparently everything is waaayy over-priced) and picked up this clean '01 220 for 900$! Hang in there, the right bike will come around! Was listed at 1200$ but talking down occurred, super nice guy too.

SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

I had a minor crash and the rear of the frame was bent similarly to whats is in the pic. The bike got away from me on a small 1-2 ft jump. I grabbed more handle bar and the beast took off launching the front end strait up. The bike landed strait back on the fender bending that section of the frame covered by the fender.

Bending the frame with a steel pipe only got the frame so far. It was not close enough to get the pipe and fender holes to line up. When I got the bike home I built a 2x4 frame under the section of frame at the bending point. I heated the frame with a MAP gas torch and used a come along to pull the frame back down into place. The frame finally moved BUT it cracked/split the frame a couple inches from my 2X4 support. I didn't apply enough and too much torque. I took the bike to a buddy's house who has an acetylene torch and welder. After welding the split, we heated the frame with acetylene torch. Getting the frame nice and hot makes it bend a whole lot easier. I wish I did it this way the first time around. The frame will never be like it was before it was bent. I have to push on the fender and muffler to get the mounting hole to line up with the frame.

Also when the frame is bent like that it most likely bent the muffler. I had to bend that back also and patch a small hole at the weld.

I have a new frame which will be my winter project.

I would be patient and keep looking.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

SOARSKI,

I didn't buy the bike pictured in this thread. I found another bike that is in a LOT better condition. See this thread: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9138

Thanks for sharing your experience with trying to straighten a sub-frame.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS