Any Frame Painting Tips?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Any Frame Painting Tips?

Post by KDXGarage »

Does anyone have any frame painting tips? I am about to paint a couple of frames, so if anyone has any tips or personal experiences, please share. One frame is just a little touch up work and one frame is a LOT of touch up work. Some areas will be sanded down to bare metal, but I don't want to have it completely sandblasted or strip/sand it all the way down. Would it hurt to spray primer on top of the original paint? I am worried about getting the primer and paint to stick and not chip/flake off rather than worried about the time and effort involved.

Thanks!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
karbon_dunn

Post by karbon_dunn »

Since you know a little about what I did allready Jason I did not strip the original off the replacement frame I got. Cleaned up the rust in places and knocked down some of the welding spurs which I am sure you have done.

To get the primer to stick to the original paint scuff the paint that is allready on the frame with some steel wool or high grit sand paper like 600. That will give the primer a place to 'grab' onto. Take some windex after you have scuffed it and spray the complete frame with it and wipe it off with a clean paper towel. Just wipe once with the paper towel and dispose of it. This will get the silicates and oils off with the ammonia and allow the primer to stick with those paint contaminates off. Other than that I did 2 coats of primer and green and 3 of clear.

I noticed a couple places where I got the green a little thin over the grey primer and it looks a little yellow with the primer bleeding through a little but by the time the bike is back together most of the painted area's are not visible anyway.

Good Luck! :supz:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And humidity is not your friend!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
karbon_dunn

Post by karbon_dunn »

Ture on the humidity. It will turn the paint into a 'spongey' (sp?) substance and will peel more than chip but you get the point. What I do is use my shop lights. You know the ones whe you are under the car and reach for a wrench and burn the holy sh!$ out of you hand or arm reaching.

I think the cans said 10 minutes in between coats on the instructions. If the paint is tact then you should be able to do another coat with no problem. If the day you paint is humid the time in between coats may increase.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Paint the frame?! :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yes Wib they are not meant to be rusty steel covered in mud like some peoples around here... :razz: :lol: :rolleyes:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the advice so far.

karbon_dunn: I have got a shop light I can use to warm it up. I have heard of that tip but forgot it. Thanks for the reminder.

I have not knocked down any welding spurs. I will check on that.

Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128